Why Didn't Moroni Know Alvin Was Dead?

Why Didn' T Moroni Alvin Dead - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 24th Jan, 2011 - 3:26am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 23rd Sep, 2004 - 11:49pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Another board I frequent on occasion which is not exactly pro-mormon had a discussion on this subject. Supposedly, on one of Joseph's visits to the Hill Cumorrah, Moroni told him to return in exactly one year and to bring his brother Alvin with him. If he did this, he would get the plates. Well, Alvin died that year and when Joseph returned like he was told, Moroni asked him why he didn't bring Alvin with him. Well, since he was dead, it would be a little difficult. So, why didn't Moroni know that Alvin was dead? Or did he know? I propossed a few theories but would like to see some other opinions.

Sponsored Links:
24th Sep, 2004 - 12:07am / Post ID: #

Dead Alvin Moroni Didnt Why

Doesn't this go in line with many of the occurences where Heavenly Messengers often asked the obvious such as in the Lord asking Cain where is Abel? At the same time how do we know Alvin was not there, just not physically and that Joseph forgot to ask that he be present?

Post Date: 24th Sep, 2004 - 3:34am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Why Didn't Moroni Know Alvin Was Dead? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I agree, one of my thoughts was in the Garden of Eden, God asked Adam and Eve who told them they were naked? God didn't ask this because he didn't know, but he asked this to give them the opportunity to respond and explain their actions.

Post Date: 24th Sep, 2004 - 5:45am / Post ID: #

A Friend

QUOTE (gaucho @ 23-Sep 04, 10:34 PM)
I agree, one of my thoughts was in the Garden of Eden, God asked Adam and Eve who told them they were naked? God didn't ask this because he didn't know, but he asked this to give them the opportunity to respond and explain their actions.

It may be more than that. It may be sort of a "second test." The first test is obvious. What actions they chose. The second test is how they explain their actions. Do they cover up? Do they tell the truth? It could also be rhetoric. Sometimes, if you ask someone a question you know the answer to, they actually learn more when they explore the answer (assuming it's one they can easily come to a conclusion on) compared to when they're told the answer. If they answer truthfully they cannot dispute it. That would be like having an argument with yourself and taking it seriously. rolleyes.gif

Reconcile Edited: Talduras on 24th Sep, 2004 - 5:46am

24th Sep, 2004 - 10:57am / Post ID: #

D. Michael Quinn (now excommunicated I believe) but he wrote this while he was an active LDS historian, quoted several sources stating that Moroni's message to Joseph was in fact "Without your dead brother, Alvin, you cannot have the golden plates" Now, what he meant by that, is pure speculation. I think it is very important to mention that as there are so many 'versions' of the First Vision, so many incorrect dates cited by the early members about when Joseph Smith had his first vision and even the dates of the evangelist revivals at that time, then it is very possible that Moroni did not ask exactly that.

24th Jan, 2011 - 3:26am / Post ID: #

Has there been any specific conference talks or quotes about this that I can get the source from?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Why Didn't Moroni Know Alvin Was Dead?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,