Judging A Book By Its Cover? - Page 2 of 2

I believe we have all been socialized to stereotype - Page 2 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 4th Feb, 2008 - 8:58pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
2nd Mar, 2006 - 11:39pm / Post ID: #

Judging A Book By Its Cover? - Page 2

To me the first appearance is just that, a first appearance. It don't mean squat but it does give a slight overview of them. To see how someone is, you need to get to know them better and that takes time. Just because they look a certain way doesn't mean that they are mean, nice, crude, rude or anything like that. People are not what they always seem, even if you know them they always throw in something new. People are never the same from day to day they change at least slightly.

Sponsored Links:
3rd Mar, 2006 - 10:33am / Post ID: #

Cover Its Book Judging

On a personal level I feel that everybody makes a judgement on someone else within the first 3 seconds of seeing that person based on stereotypes. Even if that judgement is 'I'll give them the benefit of doubt'.

When we would travel, and in a cafe or bar a game my partner an I would play would be 'people watching' Basically we would come up with personalities and types and sometimes even reasons for being there, of everyone around us purely on their looks. Childish I know but it passed the time.

First Impressions do matter, more so now with the way of the world and so much crime and corruption, your boy next door, could be scamming off the top of his company pension scheme, with not a second glance from law enforcement yet the Leather clad, tattooed Biker Chick you see on the weekend, could be a respectable mother of 3 kindergarten teacher during the week, yet get stopped at every chance to be frisked for weapons and drugs, based purely on stereotypical views.

Post Date: 4th Mar, 2006 - 7:22am / Post ID: #

Judging A Book By Its Cover?
A Friend

Judging A Book By Its Cover? Health & Special Psychology

I am always judged for my appearance. I am a relativley pretty enough girl. But because I have such low self esteem. I try to stand out of the crowd. Which I do. Not intentionally, it just happens. But I am a very nice person. My friends are always victims of this as well. Especially in highschool. You are ALWAYS judged on your appearence. If you aren't a size 2 some people won't even talk to you. It's very childish and it may sound really stupid but it's what's on the inside that counts.

Post Date: 18th Apr, 2006 - 2:27am / Post ID: #

Judging A Book By Its Cover?
A Friend

Page 2 Cover Its Book Judging

At work we have a friendship program we teach our girls, and within that program we have a nifty little lesson about judging that we do. We use what are called Diversity Beans. The purpose behind them is showing that sometimes people may look one way on the outside, but they are completely different on the inside. You may pick up an orange jelly bean and bite into it only to find that it is cherry. It's funny to watch people eat them because if they don't know they're eating a diversity bean, it'll throw them off. The usage of these beans are an excellent educational tool.

4th Feb, 2008 - 8:58pm / Post ID: #

Cover Its Book Judging

I believe we have all been socialized to stereotype individuals. For example, if we see a man dressed in old dingy clothes, we may immediately classify that person as a homeless drug addict or someone we should not trust. If a person is going to a job interview for an Executive Assistant position and she is dressed in a tight pair of jeans, a long sleeved blouse with a plunging neckline and slippers, the chances are, the interviewer would never hire her based on her appearance, even though she is has the right credentials and experience, required for the position.

We have a tendency to stereotype criminals as being deformed, ugly, dressing differently from the mainstream and having an "evil look." This used to be my perception until I learnt my lesson the hard way a few years ago.

When I was a teenager, I was involved in the language club in my high school. My teachers decided to organize a trip as part of an educational experience. Well I went and the teachers hired a tour guide, to carry all of us around the country. I distinctly remembered the tour guide divulging this to us on our very first day:

"All our criminals here are the best dressed in the world. Yes siree! So please be careful and ensure that you secure all your money, jewellry and belongings, while shopping."

I was very puzzled by the tour guide's statement until something happened to me the following day. I was heading for the subway and I felt a slight tug at my jeans pocket. I was startled and looked around to see who was behind me but I saw no one except a well dressed businessman. The second time, the person boldly attempted to pull out my wallet again but this time, I was ready. I swung around expecting to see a beggar or a man dressed in rags and my jaw immediately dropped. It was the same well dressed businessman. The only way I identified him as the thief was purple stain on his fingers. You see, after being forewarned about the thieves, I decided to conduct a little experiment. I placed my wallet in the back pocket of my jeans and I poured some a purple substance that would temporarily stain your fingers, if anyone attempted to remove my wallet. I will always remember that incident and understand the importance of not being quick to judge anyone solely on his appearance.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Judging A Book By Its Cover?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,