
Top general predicts longer international presence in Afghanistan: -
The top coalition commander has been meeting with NATO leaders to hammer out details of a plan that could keep thousands of international "Advisers" In the country for years to come. Campbell said as many as 1,000 troops supported by contractors and other civilians could remain in Afghanistan past 2016 Ref. Source 6t
U.S. Forces launched an airstrike in Kunduz province on Tuesday, said a spokesman for U.S. Forces in Afghanistan. On Monday, Taliban insurgents overran much of Kunduz city. Ref. CNN
Three staff members of medical aid charity Doctors Without Borders were killed and more than 30 people were unaccounted for after a trauma center was hit by aerial bombing early Saturday in Kunduz, Afghanistan, the charity said in a statement.
The medical facility was hit several times.
U.S. Forces carried out a strike nearby "Against individuals threatening the force" That "May have resulted in collateral damage to a nearby medical facility," Army spokesman Col. Brian Tribus said in a statement. Ref. CNN
Afghan forces asked for a U.S. Airstrike thought to have killed at least 23 people Saturday at a Doctors Without Borders hospital, the commander of U.S. Forces in Afghanistan said today.
An AC-130 gunship carried out the strike in question, Gen. John Campbell said, offering his "Deepest condolences." Ref. CNN
President Barack Obama will announce today that U.S. Forces will remain in Afghanistan at their current levels throughout much of 2016, marking yet another delay in the administration's plans for completing its withdrawal from the 14-year conflict.
The decision to maintain 9,800 troops in Afghanistan until nearly the end of Obama's time in office comes after months of discussions with Afghanistan's president, Ashraf Ghani, and the nation's CEO, Abdullah Abdullah, senior administration officials said. Obama also consulted with U.S. Military commanders on the ground in Afghanistan as well as his entire national security team, officials added.
According to the new White House plan, the number of U.S. Military personnel in Afghanistan would drop to 5,500 by early 2017, as Obama prepares to leave office. Ref. CNN
Senior defense official: 16 servicemen disciplined for involvement in strike on hospital in Afghanistan
A senior defense official confirmed that 16 servicemen, including a general officer, have received administrative punishment for their involvement in a mistaken strike on a hospital in Afghanistan, that killed 42 people last year. Ref. USAToday.
President Barack Obama said he will leave behind more troops in Afghanistan than originally planned.
Speaking from the White House, Obama said he would draw down troops to 8,400, instead of the previously announced target of 5,500. The current level of troops in Afghanistan is 9,800.
"The security situation in Afghanistan remains precarious," Obama said. "I strongly believe it is in our national security interest ... That we give our Afghan partners the best opportunities to succeed." Ref. CNN.