Every Member A Missionary - Page 2 of 2

"When the Spirit is present, people are - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 23rd May, 2014 - 7:51pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 24th Jan, 2005 - 8:52am / Post ID: #

Every Member A Missionary
A Friend

Every Member A Missionary - Page 2

Those last two questions are very good, thought provoking questions. I have never had the blessing of partaking in bringing someone into the gospel, per se. But I have had the opportunity to help a few inactive people come back to the church. It is always a difficult thing for me to know when it is appropriate for me to share the fact that I am LDS with them, along with sharing some of my faith and experiences with them. Sometimes, I have shared that information within a few minutes of talking to someone. This happened when I was on a trip to NYC right after 9/11 when so many people came up to us (there was a group of us) and asked all about us. We would tell them that we were members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and talk about it some, if they wanted to listen to that. If they seemed really interested, we would use the pass along cards that the church started using to assist in missionary work. We never forced it upon anyone, and they were always received in appreciation, although I do not know what ever became of those people. However, I have also been in situations where it was so important for me to build a bond and friendship before I ever mentioned anything. I am not ashamed of the gospel or the fact that I am a member of the church, but there are times when some people can feel like you are only interested in them for the potential convert that they could become, and I want people to know that I am genuinely interested in them. I can say from personal experience that it is so important to love those you plan to fellowship and teach, or they might not want to hear it. I can also tell you that no one wants to feel like a charity case, or that the main interest in them is their interest in the church, and that once you become a member that you really are not interested in them that much any more.

I think the biggest tool in deciding when it's a good time to share what my faith is and of some of my beliefs is by being receptive to the gift and the power of the Holy Ghost, and to let it guide me. It has lead me many, many times in sharing that I'm LDS, telling me exactly what the Lord would have me tell them about my beliefs, and in answering any questions. This is the Lord's work, not mine, and I know there have been times when He has literally put the thoughts in my head and/or the words in my mouth that He would have me say. Heavenly Father wants, so much more than I do, for those who haven't found the light of the gospel yet, to be able to find and receive it. I am convinced that when I am living righteously, in harmony with God's will, and with an open heart and mind to be directed by Him, he will not fail to supply the help and guidance needed. The things that fail are the human qualities that I have, either in my interpretation or will to express things of a spiritual nature, or in the receiver's ability to do just that, receive the message.

I wanted to end by sharing this with you. Our bishop spoke to our ward a month ago and told us of the vision that the Stake President has for us (side note that our Stake President is President Richard G. Hunter, son of Howard W. Hunter). He wants for all of the wards in the stake to find a way so that every person within a ward's boundaries will get the opportunity to hear the message of the gospel every five years. There are 16,000 people in our ward, alone. That would be over 3,000 people per year to share the gospel with. They are still taking ideas, as they are not sure yet how they are going to achieve this thing. Member missionary work has been a blessing in my life, and I love to share the gospel with others. The principles and ordinances of the gospel have changed my life so much and made me strive to be a better person, and it has just done so much for me, therefore I love to share it with others.

Reconcile Edited: dawnofthenew on 24th Jan, 2005 - 4:06pm

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 1st Jun, 2005 - 2:20am / Post ID: #

Missionary Member Every

CHURCH FULFILLING PROPHECY TO "FILL THE WHOLE EARTH"
See https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600137732,00.html

SHARON, Vermont - Despite the challenges it faces in its continued
spread around the globe, the Church is fulfilling the prophecy the Prophet
Joseph Smith made more than 150 years ago that it would "fill the whole
Earth." Speaking at the 40th annual conference of the Mormon History
Association, Elder Marlin K. Jensen of the Seventy said that Joseph Smith's
teachings testify to his prophetic gift but are understood in their eternal
significance only within the broader context of the restored gospel of
Christ.

Post Date: 13th Jun, 2005 - 1:55pm / Post ID: #

Every Member A Missionary
A Friend

Every Member A Missionary Studies Doctrine Mormon

A few years ago I tried doing "missionary work" with a couple of guys I knew and they ended up joining the wiccans. I learned an important lesson, I am not a speaking type of missionary, so I decided to live my life according to the gospel standards and let my example do the missionary work my mouth couldn't.

Post Date: 23rd May, 2014 - 7:51pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Missionary Member Every

"When the Spirit is present, people are not offended when you share your feelings about the gospel."

M. Russell Ballard (November 1986 Ensign, page 33)

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Every Member A Missionary

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,