Words We Can Do Without? - Page 2 of 2

My husband (soon to be ex) has a serious problem - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 9th Oct, 2009 - 2:40pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
A Discussion About Swearing...
7th Feb, 2004 - 12:50pm / Post ID: #

Words We Can Do Without? - Page 2

Tenaheff, it is great that you are able to get a hold of your Fs wink.gif but what I said was not meant to put you on the defensive, we are all aiming for perfection here and I was merely stating my point of view. I used to use words like these (not F, but things like shit, etc) as a teenager, but by the time I left for my mission it had been obliterated from my vocabulary. What helped me was anger control. Such words are usually emotionally triggered, when one fasts and controls emotions you will find that these words can be easily controlled too until you think it unthinkable to say them. This from personal experience, each person has to find their own method.

Sponsored Links:
7th Feb, 2004 - 12:58pm / Post ID: #

Without Do We Words

I didn't take what you said personally. I was just trying to explain from my point of view why I think it can be acceptable to use such substitutions.

Such words are usually emotionally triggered, when one fasts and controls emotions you will find that these words can be easily controlled too until you think it unthinkable to say them. This from personal experience, each person has to find their own method.

This simply didn't work for me. I spent a good deal of my focus on this. I prayed and fasted to control it. For me, the answer was a substitution. I believe that was the answer to my prayers, which is in part why I don't think it is wrong....for me.

I agree with you that we all need to find our own way. I also agree the purpose is to strive for perfection. However, I think sometimes we get hung up on little things when there are much larger things for us to worry about. Now, what I mean by this is, I used to say a very bad word, now I don't. Yes, I substitute, but for me, I have such larger issues elsewhere to focus upon that at this point in my life the use of flipping, in my view is not a concern. (Don't take that wrong, I don't mean I have some really bad things I am involved in, I just mean I could do more service, I could be better about fasting, I could do more scripture study, etc., etc.)

It's the whole line upon line precept upon precept. I can't become perfect all at once, but I can adress things one at a time in progressing towards that goal. When I am closer to perfection in other areas, then this probably is an area I will want to address.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 7th Feb, 2004 - 1:00pm

Post Date: 9th Feb, 2004 - 3:17am / Post ID: #

Words We Can Do Without?
A Friend

Words We Can Do Without? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I agree with JB. Word substitution is just that; substitution. Is beer better than whiskey? Is one addiction less bad than another?

I believe that each of us sets our own limits concerning what is acceptable. As we learn and grow our 'tolerance' for what we once thought acceptable becomes less and whala! We have created a new habit!

I remember that my mother used to use a cliche about swearing/cussing. "swearing is the lack of intelligence of anything better to say".

I think that as we come to realize what our personal definition of swearing or vulgar is, we change our speech etc. to match. Therefore, our speech like the rest of us, is continually upgrading.

Post Date: 10th Mar, 2004 - 2:11am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Without Do We Words

"The world is full of words. Many are shrill and accusatory, and many are
sarcastic. Together they are a noise, a blur, and we do not listen to or
seriously consider them. Then, once in a while, through the din as it were,
we hear precious words, such as in this conference, words to live by."

(James M. Dunn, "Words to Live By," Ensign, May 2003, 35)

9th Oct, 2009 - 2:40pm / Post ID: #

Without Do We Words

My husband (soon to be ex) has a serious problem with swearing. He's not a member and lost at least two jobs because of it. I hate swearing in every shape and form I think it makes a person look and sound cheap and foolish.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Words We Can Do Without?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,