Educate Thy Mind - Page 3 of 3

Education - a religious responsibility At - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 28th Jan, 2010 - 7:50pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Education in the life of members...
Post Date: 26th Sep, 2004 - 8:50pm / Post ID: #

Educate Thy Mind
A Friend

Educate Thy Mind - Page 3

Nighthawk, i can really relate to what you said about studying about prayer and faith they are such BIG topics. If you do a Topical Guide study on prayer you will find it takes you weeks because there is SO MANY references to prayer in the scriptures. Well i quite agree that you can never over-do the basics... because if it wasn't for the principles then we would not have deep doctrine! I think you can go deep, but you have to start at gospel principle level for true direction and in order to avoid speculation. I am also my most creative when i am inspired to think of a gospel principle, and then i stop to think of the enormity of it! i am like WOW and it takes my breath away. after i have understood it in this way - really felt it, then i can start applying it to any temporal or spiritual subject on hand. Maybe we have to humble ourselves everyday in order to see the principles again and again in different ways through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 26th Sep, 2004 - 8:55pm / Post ID: #

Educate Thy Mind
A Friend

Mind Thy Educate

According to the missionaries They are unable to visit these people because they have gone over the limit on miles? Which may explain why they are not home and the car is parked. They say they have to walk. Which would explain why they are unable to educate investigators. I said they could use my car and gas tab at a local station. The car is of no use to me. I tried to catch them in a lie to see if they were joy riding or lazy. I guess I am used to dealing with different kinds of people. I confirmed that they only have a set amount of miles by asking my mother. They said they have become busy lately and didn't expect any referrals so soon. I said I would like to go with them for educational purposes. They seemed more than happy to oblige. The bishop approved. They seamed to be excited and energetic about the whole thing over the phone and the one guy on the list they talked to. I don't think they have baptized or converted anyone. Imagine not being able to proselyte because of miles on a stupid car?? I have the problem of taking an overly aggressive stance on situations. After first talking to the bishop he asked me a simple question I couldn't answer. "do you know what is going on". lipsrsealed.gif When in dought shut your mouth. Me "probably not". So I think I am just going to sit back and chill for a while and soak everything in. I was suckered into some gossip once again. Oops lipsrsealed.gif . And the education continues. It is to bad most of the things I know have been threw acts of pure stupidity.

26th Sep, 2004 - 10:29pm / Post ID: #

Educate Thy Mind Studies Doctrine Mormon

This thread is going off track. This is what the first post says:

This thread has been started based on the theme of the importance of education, the kinds and types of education we should be involved in and if education for the Brothers should be of even greater priority. You may also wish to evaluate the role of education as a priority between mission, marriage and adolescence.

The subject is the importance of EDUCATION during various stages of our life. Since it is put in relation to spiritual accomplishments I can address this in questions:

1. As a teen did/do you mostly plan life around preparing for a mission or going to college?
2. Do you think the Brothers in the Church need to be more educated so they can have better command over the Gospel? How could a Brother be helped? What facilities are there?
3. Is educating the husband more important than educating the wife if only one can be educated?
4. Do Sisters need a higher level of education if they will end up being full-time mothers at home?
5. Are their subjects in education that need less involvement from our membership? An example: the study of the 'Big Bang Theory'.

24th Mar, 2005 - 11:37pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Mind Thy Educate

JB@Trinidad wrote

...if education for the Brothers should be of even greater priority

I actually have an answer for that, since I haven't seen any posts focused on this aspect of the thread, I figured I would add my understanding.

I know that husbands are encouraged in most circumstances to be the bread-winner in families, and that one can get better and higher-paying jobs with better education.

However, I feel that President Hinkley answered this question in an address delivered at the Regional Representatives" seminar on April 1, 1988 entitled Youth Is the Season

The generations are largely cast by the mothers who produce them. The story is told that Brigham Young was once asked what he would do if he had to choose between providing education for his sons or daughters. He replied that he would educate his daughters because they would become the mothers of his grandchildren.
[emphasis added]

I don't want to infer too much from this quote (since Pres. Hinkley is rather clear that this is just a story- not an absolute fact, and since there is not a clear "doctrinal statement" here). I think that we can infer though, that while getting an education is important for both sons and daughters, it is not more important for for sons. At least, that is how I interpreted it. smile.gif

Post Date: 28th Jan, 2010 - 7:50pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Mind Thy Educate

Education - a religious responsibility

At a BYU-Idaho devotional Jan. 26, Elder Russell M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve emphatically extolled the virtues and blessings of obtaining higher education, noting that by seeking advanced learning students not only prepare themselves for a career but for eternity as well. Ref. Source 2

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Educate Thy Mind

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,