Educate Thy Mind - Page 2 of 3

I find that it is impossible to study the - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 26th Sep, 2004 - 6:49pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Education in the life of members...
16th Jul, 2004 - 10:41am / Post ID: #

Educate Thy Mind - Page 2

Here is a question to throw out: How important is it to learn languages and theories of things if they will not be needed in the next life, or will they? For instance, will you need to know German, or Spanish in the next life? What about Darwin's theory, many do life long careers based on it.

Sponsored Links:
16th Jul, 2004 - 4:13pm / Post ID: #

Mind Thy Educate

Personally, I think that learning languages, such as German, Spanish, or Chinese, is mostly for this life. It teaches us a little bit of how other people think and live, and provides us ways to communicate better. Of course, in the area of missionary work, this is of prime importance.

At the same time, it teaches us concepts and understanding of some basic principles of communication, that we can take into the Eternities.

There is, however, another aspect to it. Joseph Smith, who probably understood more about the scriptures than anyone in history (other than Jesus), studied Hebrew quite a lot, so that he could understand them even more. So, a study of Hebrew (and possibly Greek) might be somewhat important for us, as well.

Darwin's theory is just that, a theory. We can know far, far more by seeing into the eternities for just five minutes than we could ever learn from a full lifetime's study of Darwin. Especially when we know that some of Darwin's assumptions are wrong.

17th Jul, 2004 - 5:30am / Post ID: #

Educate Thy Mind Studies Doctrine Mormon

Studying scientific things, even theories, many times can help us learn more of the mysteries of the Kingdom. When I studied Physiology in college -- wow! what an eye-opener that was! It really increased my testimony of Creation, because none of the amazing things (that we call normal) that go on inside our mortal bodies is accidental.

All study is for our benefit in some way - whether here or There.

In my opinion, of course.
Roz

Post Date: 25th Sep, 2004 - 11:19pm / Post ID: #

Educate Thy Mind
A Friend

Page 2 Mind Thy Educate

I haven't read very many books. Maybe 12. I didn't learn how to read till I was 10. I got my Diploma off of black-mail, manipulation, and threats. I always did just enough to get by. The coaches thought it was funny and they supported me because I could play football. It seamed that injuring other team's players was all I needed to get by. I could always figure things out. Even to the point that it would frustrated my teachers. If one of the teachers pulled me to the side and I couldn't intimidate them all I had to do, is go whining to my coach. I graduated with a 2.2 GPA. The teachers were glad to get rid of me. I never could get a scholarship. My Athletic skills were not good enough for any college to take a chance on my GPA. I probably would have just been average in college. It just didn't carry over. I know that is not were my real skills lie. I wonder with what all of you have written. How much you can do. I wonder how much I could actually do with an education or book knowledge that could carry over into the next life. Or even stay in this life with a good free soul. I thank My Mother more and more every day. She really tried to keep the principals and teachings of the gospel around in my youth. That is a form of education and that is what I have to build on. I never knew how solid she really made it. She is a lot happier now and I hope I can make more of her pain go away.

Post Date: 26th Sep, 2004 - 3:53am / Post ID: #

Educate Thy Mind
A Friend

Mind Thy Educate

Education in this light could refer to studying the scriptures in a different way. Most of the time you read the scriptures either when you're looking for someone (usually just confirmation on something you've heard), or as sort of a routine. While the routine is nice, you have to give yourself the right mindset, and also the right atmosphere. Somehow, my studying of scripture seems to be on making sense of what most say doesn't make sense (mostly refering to the Bible). I've even gone as far as to write notes on what the scripture was for, example being that most of the epistles were written to members of the church back in the early AD period. Therefore, while reading those I have to think what each passages can be taken into account in modern days. Apparently, women couldn't speak in church back then (as in talks, I'm assuming), so you have to be careful about minor loopholes like that.

Since I brought it up, does anyone know why women couldn't speak in church back in the early ADs? Although, it could've been something else. I can't remember the verses very well, but it was in one of the early epistles.

26th Sep, 2004 - 3:05pm / Post ID: #

Educate Thy Mind

Well, the bottom line is God knows all things and if we are to become like Him...

Yes, I know there are priorities and seasons but the answer for me must be education (in its true and broadest sense) is vital.

Indeed, it seems to me that formal education is more (but not entirely) for this life whereas personal study and education in its fullest sense has more of a bearing on the next life.

It is my understanding that those in the spirit prison do not magically become conversant in all languages when they enter that place. They need missionaries to go to them who speak their language.

Doctrine & Covenants Section 88: 78-80...

"Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you, that you may be instructed more perfectly in theory, in principle, in doctrine, in the law of the gospel, in all things that pertain unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for you to understand;
"Of things both in heaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad; the wars and the perplexities of the nations, and the judgments which are on the land; and a knowledge also of countries and of kingdoms-
"That ye may be prepared in all things when I shall send you again to magnify the calling whereunto I have called you, and the mission with which I have commissioned you."

Seems that covers a lot of subjects that it is "expedient for [us] to understand"!

Offtopic but,
When the NT speaks of women not speaking in church I believe it means that they do not preside in the Church; they do not possess the Priesthood

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 26th Sep, 2004 - 6:00pm / Post ID: #

Educate Thy Mind
A Friend

Educate Thy Mind - Page 2

"Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you, that you may be instructed more perfectly in theory, in principle, in doctrine, in the law of the gospel, in all things that pertain unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for you to understand;

Very interesting. Most of these statements are pertaining to my welcome board labeled "Strange" Under the topic of education. Nighthawk I have read the BOM 2 times. I am in section 104 of D&C. I am going through the re-education documents on another site. I don't know how much more I can do as far as basics. I should probably keep at it, as I mentioned before. It isn't hard since I really enjoy it and I cant seam to put any of it down. Deep Doctrine doesn't exactly blow me away. And my testimony threw out my life has at times been week. However I never denied its truth. I am sure it wont take me 7 years to find a use for some of it. And I am not being humble when I say my application and analytical skills are impressive. I have been told that by people much more educated than I am. I have been busy on the phone today playing damage control to 8 people that the missionaries were supposed to visit. They visited one out of 9 and he is calling back almost begging for a second discussion. It is embarrassing to me that people with training and education can not accommodate these demands. As you know it is a week time for these people seeking a change in their lives. I can understand that members don't have time. And I thought that the missionaries were busy, but from what I am told this group is really lazy. And in my opinion they should be scolded or sent home for not doing their job. It seams that church members and missionaries are more concerned with singing and strengthening each others testimonies and basking in their own world of en-lightenment. Atleast around here. I understand that it is not easy for some people to plant seeds, but this wheat is ready to harvest. Or at least close. I don't know it isn't my area and I don't want to mess it up. My understanding of D&C 86. I will get on it next weak and try to lite a fire under someones _____. The missionaries seam to lock themselves in the house and prtend they are not there. I will have to sneak up on them. I wonder if they will run? This might be the biggest increase in conversion in this area ever. I will go to church next weak and seek some council. It seams as though my "strangeness" is starting to pay off.
They need missionaries to go to them who speak their language.

I should demand that the lazy missionaries give me the discussions so that I understand how they do it. A different language may be as simple as relating to a persons problem or comunication like RC mentioned. I should probably send something similar to the Bishop. I am sure he will have the insight and patients to deal with it. You aren't just talking about 9 people. They have families!! If the local church cant saticefy my needs then I will have to go by other means. Jacob 2: 18-19. I would me more then happy to pay for memberships anonymously if you could answer some of their demanding questions that I cant. I think I will go to the local level first. And I will be sure to keep my theories and enlightenment to myself in the future. It is sad when mormons think you are "strange". In fact I wont say anything. Thanks for the education. I lack grace and I am just what my mood says "Irritated". That is why I make things happen. And I don't have time to play king of the hill. This is your world. Good luck.

Offtopic but,
Mr. Smith is good. I have to say that is pretty funny.

26th Sep, 2004 - 6:49pm / Post ID: #

Educate Thy Mind Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

I find that it is impossible to study the basics too much. I keep returning to the subject of faith over and over and over. Also prayer. Since I keep coming back to these subjects, I learn new things continuously.

You should definitely have the missionaries teach you the discussions. Then start grabbing them and take them with you to visit these families. Unless you are the ward mission leader, it most likely isn't your place to scold or correct them, but there is no reason you can't instigate contacts and drag them along.

Taking this back to the topic at hand, one of the best ways to educate yourself is to teach a subject. Especially when you are talking about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, you will find that just listening to and participating in the discussions will stimulate your mind, so that you will begin to search out more understanding of the subjects under discussion.

I also find that there are lots of excellent books that can help you both in your search for basic as well as advanced understanding. I particularly like Avraham Gileadi's books on Isaiah and prophecy, along with Hugh Nibley's books.

The basic research books are also excellent resources. Such books as The Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Discourses of Brigham Young, and Doctrines of Salvation are all good sources for learning and inspiration.

Finally, I really like to listen to the Book of Mormon. Since it is now available for free on the internet, you can download books and chapters, and listen while you are doing other things. I find that I actually catch some things better while listening than while reading. If nothing else, it focuses my mind on spiritual things while I am working or thinking about less spiritual things (like driving).

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Educate Thy Mind

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,