Doctrine?

Doctrine - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 3rd Oct, 2005 - 6:23am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

How do I know if it is doctrine?
11th Apr, 2004 - 5:35pm / Post ID: #

Doctrine?

There is always a lot of discussion on what is doctrine and what is not. The Lord outlined how we can know if it be doctrine...

John 7: 17 - If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

Often we so want to know about the doctrine and fail to act upon it. A good example... today I asked home teaching reports, scarcely anyone did their home teaching, including leaders... yet on any good ole Sunday you will hear them quick to quote what we ought to be doing. As I asked everyone for their report one by one I ripped a little piece of paper and wrote on it Alma 34:11-17 and said, "Do you know what it says there?"

We can speak about doctrine, we can speak about God and things of His Kingdom, but only until we act upon it do we receive testimony and we are sure and given assurance of the Truth and what we are doing.

This thread has been started for you to share your thoughts and feelings about how the actual 'doing' part has enabled you to know of the doctrine. You can also share with us which particular doctrine you were reassured about from doing. An example would be tithing, etc.

Sponsored Links:
11th Apr, 2004 - 6:15pm / Post ID: #

Doctrine

Great scriptures JB, I read that one in John several times but I never really analyze it in the way it is, wonderful. I think was Nighhawk who said in one his threads something that really made me ponder a lot, he said that we have been ask as Latter Day Saints to be a peculiar people, different from the world, but really most of us are not very different from what other people in the 'world' do, except for some few people who really know and live the 'doctrine'. Today the lesson in the Relief Society was about Personal, Abiding Testimony and I said that I don't remember the last time I heard somebody talking about Jesus Christ in their testimonies and He is the one who we should center our testimonies rather than people, or stories, etc. I heard all the time leaders speaking about Home Teaching but they don't do it!, by the other hand you have leaders who do not do certain things and therefore they don't even mention it at all!. I was in a Women's Conference sometime ago, the activity was well organized but I was extremely dissapointed to not hear about Visiting Teaching or taking care of the sick and afflicted or about Motherhood. ALL that I hear was Education and earning a degree, I applaud the intentions but it is so unrealistic in a country where a lot of women are heads of home and they cannot even dream with a University degree, some of them they can hardly read and write but because the persons involved in the activity are studying in college they think everybody should do the same instead of focusing in the real needs of the sisters. You see? this becomes doctrine of men rather than doctrine of God and that's why Jesus said that if we do his will, we will know what doctrine really is. Just my thoughts...

8th May, 2004 - 1:14am / Post ID: #

Doctrine? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Service to our fellowmen is in my opinion the very essence of the Doctrine. After we do the necessary ordinances for ourselves the basic thing left is to endure to the end through service. As we serve we tend to see where the words spoken by our Saviour make so much sense!

Post Date: 24th Oct, 2004 - 11:43pm / Post ID: #

Doctrine

I know a man who studied for the ministry. Then just before his ordination he dropped out because there were so many unanswered questions. He still regarded himself as a devout, if somewhat disillusioned, Christian. He found another profession, married, and was raising a family when our missionaries found him.

He made a very superficial study of the doctrines of the Church and found them tolerable enough. The fundamentals of Christianity were visible. But he was most interested in programs and activities that would benefit his family.

It was after he was baptized that he made the discovery of his life. To his surprise he found, underlying the programs of the Church, a solid foundation of doctrine. He had no idea of the depth and breadth and height of our theology. When once he moved from interest in the programs to a study of the gospel of Jesus Christ, he found answers which explained to his full satisfaction the deep questions that had left him unable to accept ordination as a clergyman.

One doctrine was completely new to him. Although he was a student of the Bible, he had not found it there until he read the other revelations. Then the Bible was clear to him and he understood.

The doctrine is so logical, so reasonable, and explains so many things, that it is a wonder that the Christian world rejected it. It is so essential a part of the equation of life that, left out, life just cannot add up, it remains a mystery.
Ref. The Mystery of Life - Elder Boyd K. Packer

25th Oct, 2004 - 1:44am / Post ID: #

Doctrine

It was after he was baptized that he made the discovery of his life. To his surprise he found, underlying the programs of the Church, a solid foundation of doctrine

This is exactly what I was telling a sister in the Church today, in order to reach the kind of unity and love that are needed in Relief Society, Visiting Teaching must be working, not a whole set of extra-activities, but the basic programs of the Church that will help us to develop that love for each other, and that's is the solid foundation of doctrine in my opinion: Service.

Post Date: 1st Oct, 2005 - 11:14pm / Post ID: #

Doctrine?
A Friend

Doctrine?

When I give a talk or lesson if I am not sure of the doctrine if it be mine or Fathers I am nervous to speak it for the simple fact it may not be doctrinally correct. Even tho I do study the doctrine of the church for fun I still question. Am I right for doing this or am I just losing my marbles?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
2nd Oct, 2005 - 3:29pm / Post ID: #

Doctrine

That is a very good question, especially when you consider that there are many "doctrines" that are commonly accepted by Church members, that aren't supported by scripture or by revelation. At the same time, there are many doctrines that are supported by scripture and by revelation and official pronouncement of previous leaders that are denied by most members of the Church.

You can only do the best you can. Study and prayer can lead you toward greater light and knowledge.

All of this is why D&C 42:14 says what it does:

14 And the Spirit shall be given unto you by the prayer of faith; and if ye receive not the Spirit ye shall not teach.

3rd Oct, 2005 - 6:23am / Post ID: #

Doctrine Mormon Doctrine Studies

I am a volunteer Institute instructor this year. One of the most reliable ways to minimize false and speculative doctrine in my teaching has been to abide by a simple rule: If I don't know of a scripture or a Conference address that corroborates a statement, I generally do not say it. If it hasn't been taught by the Scriptures or the General Authorities, it is not vital to salvation and probably has little or no redeeming value in a Gospel classroom.

This rule has sometimes been difficult for me, because many things we culturally assume are simply not backed up by scripture. Saturday's Warrior is an especially flawed, yet catchy, source of dubious speculation. However, when teaching a point of the Gospel or bringing out an insight in the scriptures, it is comforting to know that I can commend to my students a talk or a chapter that teaches it in purity. That doesn't mean I can name a specific talk or verse for every sentence that leaves my mouth, but for every topical point I make, I can at least say, "You may want to read Elder _____'s talk on this. I think it was about four years ago in the Priesthood session. If you like, I can find the reference later." If you haven't tried teaching with this mindset, I think you may find it valuable.

> TOPIC: Doctrine?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,