Wireless Internet - Page 2 of 3

I am pretty sure that I have explained before - Page 2 - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 3rd Apr, 2005 - 1:36am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
15th Apr, 2004 - 4:35pm / Post ID: #

Wireless Internet - Page 2

Nighthawk, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that is what I have already tried. I put in the passphrase, it generated the keys. I wrote two of them down. Tried each one separately, but with no success. It accepts the key, I click connect, but it doesn't connect. No error message, just never connects.

I will check out the techtv site though. Thanks.

Sponsored Links:
6th Jun, 2004 - 1:57pm / Post ID: #

Internet Wireless

I use Netgear for my wireless network instead of Linksys. They seem easier to configure and less prone to problems. Tenaheff, you mentioned clicking Connect. I was under the impression that you only need to connect if you are using the Point-to-point mode. But if you are using a wireless router to share your internet connection between your desktop and laptop, then you should be using the network mode. This does not require you to connect, your laptop will find the wireless router by itself. This is how the Netgear connection works, but I assume it is the same with Linksys.

6th Jun, 2004 - 4:38pm / Post ID: #

Wireless Internet Gaming Video & Issues Computer

Well, first I don't broadcast my network address so that others can't piggyback my account. Second, WinXP often asks me if I want to connect to the network even though it isn't secure.

Since I don't broadcast my address, I have to select the network when the PC boots up.

2nd Apr, 2005 - 4:27pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Internet Wireless

If you read my previous posts, you can see I have had some trouble with my wireless network. I felt pretty lame about it too, since this is the sort of thing I do for a living.

Back in October, I bought a new wireless card, but never got around to installing it. My other card kept losing connection to the router and I wanted to try a new one. Well, this morning, I finally got around to installing it, but once I did, I couldn't connect to the network via wireless. I tried the the online connection tool and it couldn't fix the problem either. So, I called for tech support. We were able to get the thing to connect using WEP, which I couldn't do with my old card, but only if I broadcast the SSID, which I didn't want to do for security reasons. The old card could connect with SSID not broadcasting, but couldn't connect with WEP.

So, I broke down and bought all new. My old one was wireless B which runs at 11 Mbps max. The card I bought in October was wireless G which runs at 54 Mbps max. However, this card was only going to work at 11 Mbps though because my router was wireless B. I went to Best Buy, this morning, and bought a new router and a new network card both wireless G with speed booster. The speedbooster is supposed to enhance performance up to 35%. I am currently connected to the network via wireless at 110 mps! I have seen it as high as 125! This is really awesome! I should have made this change long ago.

One other change I made was to the channel. The default is channel 6. It said if you have poor performance on one channel try another. It recommend three channels, 6, 11 and I can't remember the other. Well, I figured it was possible the dropping of the network connection could be related to poor performance so I changed it to channel 11. We shall see how this goes, but so far so good!

The speed difference from 11 Mbps to 110 Mbps is incredible as I am sure you all realize!

Now, have any of you set your printer up on a wireless print server? I am thinking of doing that next. I have currently hooked it up to a PC and my other PCs connect to it through that PC using wireless to get to the other PC. However, the other PC is a machine that is more than 7 years old and dying a quick death. So, I either need to move the printer to this PC and share it from here or hook it up to a wireless print server.

Reconcile Edited: funbikerchick on 2nd Apr, 2005 - 4:33pm

2nd Apr, 2005 - 9:21pm / Post ID: #

Internet Wireless

That is interesting that you are seeing such a performance in Internet activity. The 11Mbps vs 54Mbps is really a rating for download and file transfer rates over the network, and not Internet speed. Your internet speed is based on your ISP, which in my area, is only up to 3Mbps at the time. Therefore the B network should be more than enough. I am guessing you are seeing an increase in performance because you are on a different frequency and seeing less interference from those around you, who most likely are running B networks as well. The G network is not as common, except for those who have 5MHz cordless phones, so you are operating at a higher frequency than most others. In any case, it is always awesome when you can see some performance increases. Enjoy!

2nd Apr, 2005 - 9:48pm / Post ID: #

Wireless Internet

No, Malexander, I think you are confused by what I am describing. I am speaking not of internet download or connection speeds. I am speaking of connection speed between my PC and the linksys router.

I realize my internet speed is different, but when my connection to the router is slow, then that impacts the speed of response to my PC while on the internet. When the NIC keeps dropping the connection it causes constant interruptions. So, what I am now seeing is that my connection to the router with my wireless card is faster than the connection with that same router when I use a wired connection because that connection is only 100 Mbps.

Sorry for the confusion. My internet speed is what it is, but my connection to the router definately effects my experience with that connection speed.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
2nd Apr, 2005 - 10:51pm / Post ID: #

Wireless Internet - Page 2

Oh, ok, no need to apologize. That was my misunderstanding. Also, let me know how the wireless printing goes. My suggestion would be to use a wireless print server. I am planning on doing the same with my network, but am waiting till I move into another house. Currently, my cable wire is in the basement, so my wired computer is down there as well. I end up mostly on the wireless laptop connection upstairs.

3rd Apr, 2005 - 1:36am / Post ID: #

Wireless Internet Computer Issues & Video Gaming - Page 2

I am pretty sure that I have explained before that we have a wireless network running in our home. We have a Linksys G router, with Linksys cards in two laptops, a Linksys USB adapter on the desktop, and the built in Airport on the iBook. However, I have never been able to get the various computers to talk to each other across the network. Last week, I was able to get the desktop to talk to the iBook, but only by creating a completely separate network controlled by the iBook.

So, my question is, how do I get the XP machines to talk to each other? Once I get that going, I should be able to get the iBook to join in, but I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Specifically, I would like one of the XP machines to provide print services to all the other computers, as well as be able to share files and play games across the network.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Wireless Internet

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,