Martial Arts - Page 3 of 4

I am now a Second degree black belt in Tae - Page 3 - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 5th Dec, 2005 - 4:37pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Post Date: 17th Aug, 2004 - 2:01am / Post ID: #

Martial Arts
A Friend

Martial Arts - Page 3

I'm a purple belt in Shorin-Ryu karate. Right now, the current head of my style, Kyoshi Frank Hargrove, is staying at my dojo until Summer Camp 2004.

I'm also pretty good with the bo, but not so with nunchucka.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 18th Aug, 2004 - 4:49pm / Post ID: #

Martial Arts
A Friend

Arts Martial

sweet!

so do you have to be in karate in order to train with bo's and katanas?

my guess would be yes, but ya never know...also i was wondering what belt you have to be at before you can start training with weapons?

Post Date: 8th Apr, 2005 - 7:47pm / Post ID: #

Martial Arts
A Friend

Martial Arts Sports & Fashion Music Movies

I studied martial arts about five years ago. I wasn't in it very long, but I managed to achieve a yellow belt in both Judo and Ju Jutsu. Judo Is basically tournament fighting, you learn how to perform throws and pin people in holds. Choke holds are not allowed. Ju Jutsu is the more combat oriented form of Judo, many of the throws are the same, but with some you can give an extra twist and break a persons arm. Ju Jutsu is excellent for self defense, but I feel sorry for anyone who takes Judo and believes they have an effective fighting technique.
I didn't stay in it very long because I didn't like how our Sensei treated some of the students (though he always treated me well), I felt that during demonstrations he was deliberately rougher with the more advanced students then he had to be. Also the focus of the classes went from being technique based to strength based. When I was no longer sure wether I joined a Dojo or a gym I got out. Sometimes I regret my decision, but if I went back I would want a new instructor.
-Unferth

5th Jul, 2005 - 6:04pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Arts Martial

I studied Judo from the age of 8 to 11years old & competed for my county, at the time I wasn't aware of the particular benefits/definciencies of different martial arts. I came away from Judo because of other commitments. After trying different martial arts a number of years later (Gojo Ryu Karate), I settled on Traditional Wing Chun Kung Fu, I like its fluidness and matter of fact directness, it is a very interesting style, and I can honestly say I have never enjoyed a martial art as much as this. I have been studying this for approximately 4 years, and in this time I have realised that what I learned in Judo has no practical use outside of the dojo. Others may dissagree, this is just my personal experience.
It is very informal where I train, we do not wear belts or uniforms, there is respect and discipline. However the relaxed atmosphere really enhances the training experience, gradings are awarded with certificates. As I have experienced in the past, there is none of the arrogance that comes with people parading their grades & thinking they are better than the rest of you. (I would like to say that obviously not everyone is like this, I am just talking from personal experience).

Post Date: 23rd Jul, 2005 - 6:24pm / Post ID: #

Martial Arts
A Friend

Arts Martial

I used to train kung fu of the Choy Lee Fut style. Although I eventually gave it up, for the time being, I guess, I can tell you that I enjoyed it very much. Out of every martial art style, kung fu was always the closest to my liking and I won't hide that it's all because of Honkong kung fu movies and Jackie Chan. I've always wanted to try it and I would like to go back to it someday. I really miss it.
I guess what I like the best apart from the lone physical training, is the feeling that in some way connects me to the old times, where discipline and tradition meant almost everything. It's just amazing to learn the same things so many people learned before, and which made their whole lifes. Nowadays fighting is all about guns and bigger guns and more powerful guns - weapons such as swords, sabres and spears are no longer used. The finesse of fighting is gone. To learn it in such world as we have now is like bringing precious principles back from the past. And it's a great feeling.

Post Date: 3rd Sep, 2005 - 10:31pm / Post ID: #

Martial Arts
A Friend

Martial Arts

I did a version of Martial Arts that was based off of Tae-Kwon-Do. I do not know the name of it, but I did it for a short time and managed to get to a yellow belt with a black stripe.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
11th Sep, 2005 - 1:55am / Post ID: #

Martial Arts - Page 3

I have studied several forms of Okinawan styles of Karate and have a black belt in Shurin-Ryu. Also took several years of Tea Kwon Do. The Karate styles fit my size and style much more than the Korean Style I also like the ability of being exposed to all of the classical weapons used in the Okinawa style. I have yet to get into the more unique weapons such as the hoe and the oar, but sometime I will take the time to do so.

Wyldehorse

5th Dec, 2005 - 4:37pm / Post ID: #

Martial Arts Movies Music Fashion & Sports - Page 3

I am now a Second degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and currently I am taking Kung fu and Muay Thai kickboxing as a side sport.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Martial Arts

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,