If There Are No Bounds...

If Bounds - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 26th Feb, 2005 - 4:51am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Would you be you today - or another person?
Post Date: 24th Feb, 2005 - 11:59pm / Post ID: #

Consider the following quotes and then the question that follows for discussion:

Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow creatures is amusing in itself
-- James Anthony Froude

There is no telling to what extremes of cruelty and ruthlessness a man will go when he is freed from the fears, hesitations, doubts and the vague stirrings of decency that go with individual judgement. When we lose our individual independence in the corporateness of a mass movement, we find a new freedom- freedom to hate, bully, lie, torture, murder and betray without shame and remorse. Herein undoubtedly lies part of the attractiveness of a mass movement
-- Eric Hoffer

If there were no bounds whatsoever, nothing to be accountable for... would you keep the same level of integrity you do at present? Be honest in your answer.

Sponsored Links:
25th Feb, 2005 - 6:13am / Post ID: #

Bounds No There If

Assuming that in this hypothetical situation, I could keep all the knowledge I have obtained up to this point, I would probably choose to be quite similar to who I am now. I have seen, especially recently, the results of indulgence and addiction in some people around me, and I have seen the joy I receive by avoiding things I know are wrong.

An absence of boundaries is an interesting concept - we seem to be gradually slipping toward that point in our society. If there were no legal accountability, I could drop out of school (if school still existed), and concentrate on family and other important matters. It would turn everybody into survivalists, but we would regain some element of urgency, connection, and dependence on each other - we have lost these feelings in many ways, because modern life is so convenient.

25th Feb, 2005 - 6:52am / Post ID: #

If There Are No Bounds... Health & Special Psychology

We had this question in ethics class in college and I answered it this way...seemed OK to the professor.

If no one had accountability, then what is judged as the norm of integrity would change, as the determination of acceptable behaviour would ultimately shift. Integrity is a synonym for incorruptability. In that case, if I maintained my integrity (a quality based against the norm of what corrupt is), then I would stay that the same level in society in regards to integrity. I do believe, in this case, that I would not change any more than the norm shifts. However, if you are defining maintaining my integrity as not changing my beliefs even in the face of shifting norms, then I would believe that I would fail in this case.

He applauded me for cleverly answering his question, told the class that my answer was acceptable and suggested I switch from engineering to law. He then asked me if my goal was to stay at a certain level of integrity with respects to the social norm. I told him that it was not my goal, but rather a tendency. Still quite have not figured out if this was a compliment or not! laugh.gif

Vincenzo

Post Date: 25th Feb, 2005 - 6:36pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Bounds No There If

I think as far as my morals and such went, I would remain the same. I didn't grow up with a family that gave me the best role model for how to lead a moral and ethical life. I picked that up from church and such. Even before I was a Christian, there were still things that I was very strict on as far as how I lived my life was.

I think what would change is my ability to take risks. I can be such a baby at times. I would love to be able to just go jump out of a plane and not have fears. Of course, sky diving is something I really want to do, so that probably is not the best example. Hitchhiking across the United States would be such a blast, but I would never have the guts to do it because of all the fears I have.

For the most part, I would remain close to who I am.

25th Feb, 2005 - 11:18pm / Post ID: #

Bounds No There If

I honestly don't believe this is a question anyone can answer because one really does not know how they would react in certain situations if there was no accountability unless they were actually living it. I can assume and hope that I would be about the same as I am today with regards to ethics and integrity, but saying that with 100% assurance is impossible in my opinion.

26th Feb, 2005 - 12:43am / Post ID: #

I believe it is inherent in man's nature to do what he thinks is right. This means that what one thinks is right most times equates to what others might feel is wrong. Now, if there are no rules, no bounds, no consideration for an afterlife and so on then most likely I will be far from what I am now - I will do what I think is right and therefore there would be chaos

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
26th Feb, 2005 - 4:47am / Post ID: #

If There No Bounds...

If there were never any bounds, then yes, I would be very much different from what I am today. There would be no government, and nothing to bind humanity together under laws. People's first priority would be themselves, or maybe their families as well, and there would be no thinking of society. No bounds probably also mean no manners or expected behavior, leaving each man to his own wills, and letting loose his bestial self. I don't believe that man is entirely a beast, but I do believe that there is a bestial half to us, which, when not bound, will dominate our so called humane half, which requires society and rules. It is a human quality, however, to aim at a government, and to set bounds, so saying there are no bounds ignores that property of human beings. If there were, indeed, no bounds, they will surely gradually be established by humans, as they were before.

26th Feb, 2005 - 4:51am / Post ID: #

If There No Bounds... Psychology Special & Health

First of all, I have to disagree with this opening statement:

Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow creatures is amusing in itself

Have you never seen a cat with a mouse or a bird? And not just domesticated cats, either.

-------------------

I believe that if there is no accountability, no law, no hope of an afterlife, no rules, I.e. no "Good" influences in the world, then there would be on the opposite side no "Evil" influences. There has to be a balance, opposition in all things. I think the penchant for violence and cruelty would actually ebb, and people would gather with folks who think as they do, thereby creating little communities of like-minded people.

Would I be the same person? If my theory is correct, then I would have less of a drive to do evil. I think it would be pretty sad, to be hopeless of any kind of future in the hereafter. What a pathetic existence! Where would be the joy?

IMO
Roz

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: If There Are No Bounds...

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,