Lds Position On Occult Affiliation

Lds Position Occult Affiliation - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 1st May, 2004 - 5:18am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
29th Apr, 2004 - 12:55am / Post ID: #

Often we see shows like Buffy where they dramatize the dark side. We even have an LDS actress on the show (I think she acts as the sister of Buffy), but is it correct to portray, glamorize and infatuate people with this kind of thing? Some people like the dark for some reason or the other, either because of the mystery or because they get a sense of 'power' from it. Some people join groups where they study ancient lore or manuscripts and then somehow invoke these things, others pretend... Do you know the LDS' position on this? What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links:
29th Apr, 2004 - 2:28pm / Post ID: #

Affiliation Occult Position Lds

I think that the "official" position is to avoid them completely.

While I really enjoy several of the current and recent crop of "occult" based shows on TV, including Buffy, Angel, and Charmed, it does really bother me how they portray many things. It looks to me like they are really trying to make good appear evil and evil to appear good.

We are to avoid even the appearance of evil. Thus, we should avoid the occult.

But, I don't know how that statement applies to some other things, such as the Kabbalah or the study and development of Qi.

Personally, I think that Qi is a valid and powerful study in itself. Qi is commonly called "chi" or "ki", and is the foundation of chinese medicine and martial arts. I think that it is ok for LDS to study and apply it, as it appears (to me) to be, or at least contain, truth.

At the same time, although some good might come out of some occult activities, there is no doubt that most of it is extremely dark. A lot of it is even obviously perversion and distortion of real Priesthood power and ordinances. This may also be true of Kabbalah, although I don't know enough about it to really know.

The obvious thing about all of it, including Kabbalah, is that the Lord's revealed means is the only appropriate way to approach the spirit world, revelation, and prayer. Occult practices are counterfeit attempts to contact spirits, receive revelation, and affect the world around us. They try to give people power that is reserved for righteous priesthood holders, without the "strings" of personal righteousness, preparedness, and the Lord's permission. They are "shortcuts" that are forbidden to us.

I hope I made myself clear, as I freely admit I am a bit confused about things here.

30th Apr, 2004 - 12:56am / Post ID: #

Lds Position On Occult Affiliation Studies Doctrine Mormon

international QUOTE
I think that the "official" position is to avoid them completely.

Yes, and in a letter from the First Presidency on it...

international QUOTE
"Members should not engage in forms of so-called Satan worship or affiliate in any way with the occult (CHI). "Such activities are among the works of darkness spoken of in the scriptures. They are designed to destroy one's faith in Christ and will jeapordize the salvation of those who knowingly promote this wickedness. These things should not be pursued as games, be topics in Church meetings, or be delved into in private, personal conversations.""

Seems strict, matter of fact, no gray areas at all.

Post Date: 30th Apr, 2004 - 2:07am / Post ID: #

A Friend

My roommate watched Buffy, Charmed, and Angel occasionally and I really didn't like those shows. For whatever reason they made me feel uncomfortable - probably the Spirit telling me there was something wrong. That's reason enough for me to avoid those kinds of shows.

30th Apr, 2004 - 12:14pm / Post ID: #

QUOTE (JB@Trinidad @ 29-Apr 04, 8:56 PM)
Seems strict, matter of fact, no grey areas at all.

I agree completely. My only grey areas are, what exactly is occult?

Is Kabbalah? Is tai chi? Is it occult to read and study the I Ching, to learn what truth and wisdom is contained within Hinduism? How about the Tao Te Ching, which teaches the mystical aspects of Tao, which adherents claim is non-religious?

If you were to ask most evangelical Christians about any of these, the answer would be an emphatic "YES, all these things are occult, because they aren't focused on the Bible." However, we know that there is much truth and wisdom outside of our own culture, and that God has revealed much to many different peoples. I am certainly not saying that any of these are true religiously, but I think they probably contain a lot of truth.

Reconcile Edited: Nighthawk on 30th Apr, 2004 - 12:21pm

Post Date: 30th Apr, 2004 - 7:25pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

My college age daugher is a big fan of Buffy. Charmed and Angel. I guess if you watch one, you watch them all. i never could get interested in them and I've tried to get my daughter to see how worthless they are but she still watches.

On the other hand, my sister goes too far the other way. Refused to allow her kids to see any of the Harry Potter movies or even read the books. Neither will she allow any Disney movies because they all have some form of evil or magic in them.

The way I see it, this attitude is prevelant in all areas of the church. We receive councel from the Brethern on different areas, some members can be in obvious violation of church teachings but can provide a very convincing rationalization why what they are doing is ok. Others take the opposite approach and invent their own rules which are more strict than the councel given.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st May, 2004 - 4:58am / Post ID: #

Lds Position Occult Affiliation

international QUOTE
My only grey areas are, what exactly is occult?

Well here is the meaning of the word:

international QUOTE
  1. Of, relating to, or dealing with supernatural influences, agencies, or phenomena.
  2. Beyond the realm of human comprehension; inscrutable.
  3. Available only to the initiate; secret: occult lore. See Synonyms at mysterious.
  4. Hidden from view; concealed.
        1. Medicine. Detectable only by microscopic examination or chemical analysis, as a minute blood sample.
        2. Not accompanied by readily detectable signs or symptoms: occult carcinoma.

Ref. https://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=occult

I am going with the first meaning and will relate what I have heard as a true story...

Some girls went camping one night (LDS girls). One of them thought that they would make the atmosphere a bit spooky and decided to get some candles, light them near a tree and pretend to dance and make strange motions. As it would happen the girls took on a 'look' or shall I call it an 'aura' that caused them to need a blessing... The words 'depart evil spirit' were used in the prayer.

Now in my own opinion... When we try to channel the supernatural forces of the dark side knowingly and I emphasize 'knowingly' then we are invoking those powers into our lives - we become part of it, we become dark ourselves, we become part of the occult.

Post Date: 1st May, 2004 - 5:18am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Lds Position Occult Affiliation Mormon Doctrine Studies

A few of my college friends talked about experimenting with Ouija boards and told me that they really work and made them feel very evil. I'm glad I never experimented with those. I think that those can make you a participant in the occult, although many people think they're fake.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Lds Position On Occult Affiliation

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,