Lds Position On Occult Affiliation - Page 2 of 2

QUOTE (OneTrueSteve)Clearly not acceptable - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 13th Sep, 2010 - 12:20am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
6th May, 2004 - 2:43am / Post ID: #

Lds Position On Occult Affiliation - Page 2

'The dark side' is a common theme on movies and stuff and it is something people like because of the mythical spirit that each one of us have about the 'unknown' but I do agree we should avoid any kind of material of this kind, my only point if you think about it what kind of entertainment we will really have as adults? I mean we should not watch violent movies, r-rated movies, no movies about darkness and stuff, then we will end watching Tom Sawyer and Peter Pan for the rest of our lives? undecided.gif It seems that we have no much choice but to end up watching little children's shows since they are the only ones totally 'safe'. undecided.gif

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 7th May, 2004 - 11:50pm / Post ID: #

Lds Position On Occult Affiliation
A Friend

Affiliation Occult Position Lds

I know something about this.

Before I joined the Church (1968), I was involved in some of this stuff. My mother was keen on it. After I joined and learnt what it was really about, I stayed completely away from it. Since then I have participated in quite a few blessings that involved the casting out of evil spirits. There is nothing that shows the power of the Priesthood quite like this.

As far as the watching of shows that glorify or try to trivialize the evil side. I think we, as LDS, should stay completely away from them.

My question is, should we listen to, watch, or participate in anything that does not help us to have more of the Spirit of God?

Remember when the Prophet Joseph visited Brigham Young after Joseph's death?

Brigham was asking what he should tell the people of the Church. Joseph told him to tell them to "get the Spirit of God and keep it."

My advice: Throw out your TV (my family did 4 years ago), do not watch anything
that you youngest child and your sainted grandmother couldn't watch together, keep away from ANYTHING (including Harry Potter, etc) that teaches that the witches can be "good". There is NO GOOD in these things. This is exactly how the antichrist works. Miracles, sensation and "short cuts" are his stock in trade.

Ricky

Post Date: 9th Aug, 2010 - 8:10pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Lds Position On Occult Affiliation Studies Doctrine Mormon

At rickydyson

international QUOTE
My advice: Throw out your TV (my family did 4 years ago), do not watch anything
that you youngest child and your sainted grandmother couldn't watch together, keep away from ANYTHING (including Harry Potter, etc) that teaches that the witches can be "good". There is NO GOOD in these things. This is exactly how the antichrist works. Miracles, sensation and "short cuts" are his stock in trade.

I'm Sorry, I'd completely disagree with you. If we're going to throw away our TVs because of things like charmed (which I personally do not watch for various reasons), lets just cut off our internet and telephones for that matter, because those are major outlets for satanic and sinister ideas, never the mind that the church's resources contains countless resources for spiritual growth, and there are many many ways of using these tools in appropriate and prudent manners.

"Let all things be done in wisdom and in order..."

As for the idea of not watching Harry Potter or whatnot, I disagree that they are 'glorifying' the dark arts. It's fantasy. Taking place in the imaginations of those watching. And many of these 'short cut' stories, while they may not be directly in line with what we believe, they are still of value and learning. On top of that, I doubt that J.K Rawlings was thinking of the LDS perspective when writing her novels. In fact, I doubt she knows much about prophets or the restoration for that matter. In that context, she used the best images she could come up with. Had she used the word 'monks' instead of witches, it wouldn't be ruffling so many feathers, now would it?

When observing outside influences, one must understand the source from which they come. Not everything that isn't of an LDS base is inherently evil. And when it's not, we have to analyze the motives and overarching themes of the influence. Do the millions of readers of Harry Potter come out of the books thinking, "boy, witchcraft sounds like fun. It's not that bad at all..." or do they come out of it with something like, "Boy that young man's sacrifice for his friends was astounding..." You get out of it what you put in. And if you're looking for Satan in the menial, you will find him. Without fail. Likewise on the other side. If you look for God in all things, you will find him, and you will focus on him, and you will be able to appreciate the good in all things, not just the LDS environment.

10th Aug, 2010 - 12:37am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Affiliation Occult Position Lds

international QUOTE
1. Of, relating to, or dealing with supernatural influences, agencies, or phenomena.
2. Beyond the realm of human comprehension; inscrutable.
3. Available only to the initiate; secret: occult lore. See Synonyms at mysterious.
4. Hidden from view; concealed.

That actually describes us well. We believe in heavenly beings beyond our comprehension and the temple stuff is kept under wraps.

Post Date: 10th Aug, 2010 - 6:29pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Affiliation Occult Position Lds

A little more food for thought:

international QUOTE
That actually describes us well. We believe in heavenly beings beyond our comprehension and the temple stuff is kept under wraps.

The word "occult" or "magic" both contain inherent issues when working from an understanding viewpoint. Edmund Meltzer argued that because of "the loaded, evaluative connotation of 'magic' [or 'occult'] as false, deceptive, discredited, or morally tainted" in contrast with science and religion, "'magic' is relegated to the 'they' side of a 'we/they' dichotomy. This is simultaneously unfair to the materials and practices studied under the heading of 'magic,' and self-serving for the materials (mainly those we identify as 'our own') that are exempted from that label. It perpetuates a complacent double standard.

And while we may be trying to determine if 'occult' practices are accepted within the church, if they were accepted they would no longer be 'occult'. In a good quote from Lord of the Rings:
international QUOTE

"Are these magic cloaks?" asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.

"I do not know what you mean by that," answered the leader of the Elves. "They are fair garments, and the web is good, for it was made in this land. They are elvish robes certainly, if that is what you mean."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Plus, while a practice may be 'occult' to us as LDS members, to others who follow those traditions, it is no more 'occult' than our own temple ceremonies, or the laying on of hands for healing, or the fact that we recieve our Isreali Lineage from a stake patriarch.

But, yes. There are things which are inherently evil, things which bring the spirit of Satan into our lives and the lives of others. But we cannot shun those that do participate, or discredit the values they may have learned by experience.

Joseph Smith once said,
international QUOTE
'If man does not search out all truth when it is presented to him, he cannot be called a good Mormon.'

Edited Message Edited...
Persephone: Please use Quote tags for all quotes. Quotes should also have sources for verification.

Post Date: 12th Sep, 2010 - 10:59pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

jJB defines "occult":

international QUOTE
Well here is the meaning of the word:

1. Of, relating to, or dealing with supernatural influences, agencies, or phenomena.

Joseph Smith said,
international QUOTE
If Satan should appear as one in glory, who can tell his color, his signs, his appearance, his glory, or what is the manner of his manifestation?... Or who can drag into daylight and develop the hidden mysteries of the false spirits that so frequently are made manifest among the Latter-day Saints?  We answer that no man can do this without the Priesthood, AND having a knowledge of the laws by which spirits are governed.... No man knows the spirit of the devil, and his power and influence, but by possessing intelligence which is more than human, and having unfolded through the medium of the Priesthood the mysterious operations of his devices....  As we have noticed before, the great difficulty lies in the ignorance of the nature of spirits, of the laws by which they are governed, and the signs by which they may be known...
One great evil is that men are ignorant of the nature of spirits, their power, laws, government, intelligence, etc,....- TPJS 202-215.

So, Joseph said that we must know the laws governing the spirits, and the way to know them is through the priesthood. (Note, he did NOT say, through listening to General Conference) The main fear in the supernatural, per Joseph's remarks is that some may follow the false spirits, believing they are from God. So, do we avoid any exposure to the supernatural at all and be completely ignorant of the laws governing spirits, or do we rely on the discernment of spirits, and our knowledge of doctrine to guide us?
In a certain holy place, we learn that truth should be brought together into one big whole (paraphrasing here). He also said,
international QUOTE
One of the grand fundamental principles of "Mormonism" is to receive truth, let it come from whence it may.- TPJS 313.
He said this in context of discussing the beliefs of other religions and systems (CHI).

As for Buffy, etc., it is an Ephraimite thing, I believe, to like fantasy, and Buffy, Charmed, etc. Are nothing but fantasy. A study of the tales of King Arthur will reveal that they are allegories hiding the gospel truths in many instances. Fantasy is a tale of right versus wrong. This is the stuff of Buffy.

LDS_forever mentioned being confined to movies like Peter Pan. In my opinion, Peter Pan is very much rooted in the paranormal. (A kid that never ages and flies and consorts with fairies?) Clearly not acceptable according to JB's definition of "occult."

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
13th Sep, 2010 - 12:20am / Post ID: #

Lds Position Occult Affiliation - Page 2

international QUOTE (OneTrueSteve)
Clearly not acceptable according to JB's definition of "occult."

Not my definition, I think you meant reference.com's defition. There is also more than one meaning. Here is my original Post:
international QUOTE (JB)
2. Beyond the realm of human comprehension; inscrutable.
3. Available only to the initiate; secret: occult lore. See Synonyms at mysterious.
4. Hidden from view; concealed.
1. Medicine. Detectable only by microscopic examination or chemical analysis, as a minute blood sample.
2. Not accompanied by readily detectable signs or symptoms: occult carcinoma.

Ref. Source 5

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Lds Position On Occult Affiliation

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,