Lds Position On Gambling - Page 2 of 3

I would like to mention some points... 1. - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th May, 2004 - 12:21am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 7th May, 2004 - 5:25am / Post ID: #

Lds Position On Gambling
A Friend

Lds Position On Gambling - Page 2

I may be totally off the mark here, but I was under the impression that the Church will NOT accept tithes on gambling winnings including sweepstakes. Sweepstake winnings are not honest earnings. IMO ~ if I can't tithe it, I won't accept it.

Sponsored Links:
7th May, 2004 - 9:48am / Post ID: #

Gambling Position Lds

Last year, a local radio station did a "Stone Soup" project. Various people, companies, and organizations in the area donated parts and labor to completely rebuild a 1967 Mustang (which was also donated). Then they sold 4000 raffle tickets at $25 each. All of the money went to the Children's Leukemia Foundation.

How would you feel about participating in something like this? If you were to win, you would get a car that is worth well over $60,000.

Post Date: 7th May, 2004 - 8:05pm / Post ID: #

Lds Position On Gambling
A Friend

Lds Position On Gambling Studies Doctrine Mormon

I see nothing wrong with buying a raffle ticket, especially for a good cause. Maybe if you win, you could donate the car to the Leukemia Foundation too. After you've driven it around for 10 years.

7th May, 2004 - 8:17pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Gambling Position Lds

Now, we are rationalizing. It is o.k. to buy a raffle ticket because it is a good cause. The proceeds for the lottery also go to a good cause. In fact, Massachusetts is currently running ads on the radio telling everyone exactly where their lottery ticket proceeds go. In Massachusetts, new fire trucks are bought, the schools get money, etc. All good causes, yet it is still a form of gambling, is it not? When you buy a raffle ticket you are buying a chance, when you buy a lottery ticket you are buying a chance. It is either acceptable or not. In my opinion.

I think sometimes we go overboard. We are told don't play the lottery, but we don't look at why we shouldn't do it. Gambling itself is bad. If I buy one lottery ticket for $1 once every 3 or 4 months because the jackpot is at 100,000,000 or higher, do I have a gambling problem, no. However, many people will say no gambling means no gambling period. If this is true, it must also mean no raffle tickets because it is a form of gambling just as much as the lottery ticket is. If you want to donate your $25, donate and tell them to keep the ticket. If you aren't willing to do that then you are buying the ticket because you might have a chance to win the prize, even if it does go to a good cause in the end.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 7th May, 2004 - 11:01pm

7th May, 2004 - 9:18pm / Post ID: #

Gambling Position Lds

Actually, I don't ever remember buying a raffle ticket, although I was severly tempted by that '67 Mustang (it is gorgeous, you can still see it, along with the new project for this year on their website).

But I have to agree with tenaheff. Gambling is gambling, no matter. I am a little unsure about sweepstakes, radio contests, etc.

Post Date: 7th May, 2004 - 11:45pm / Post ID: #

Lds Position On Gambling
A Friend

Lds Position On Gambling

QUOTE (tenaheff @ 7-May 04, 8:17 PM)
Now, we are rationalizing. It is o.k. to buy a raffle ticket because it is a good cause. The proceeds for the lottery also go to a good cause.

I think sometimes we go overboard. We are told don't play the lottery, but we don't look at why we shouldn't do it.

I think sometimes we as church members try to make too many rules. We take advice from the Prophet and then go overboard and say well, if x is wrong then y must be wrong too. A perfect example is the Word of Wisdom but that's another thread. Gambling I think can fall into this category as well. I never, never play the Lottery. But the reason is not beause we have been counceled not to. I don't play it because the odds of winning are so much against you, I feel it is a waste of a dollar. But, there are members who occasionally do buy a lottery ticket or enter a raffle. I don't think God will smite them. It's still a waste, but there are worse things they could be doing, I don't worry about it.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th May, 2004 - 12:10am / Post ID: #

Lds Position Gambling - Page 2

Gaucho, I believe your statement is true. In fact, when the lottery gets above $100,000,000 I usually by a ticket. Yet, the discussion is more philosophical in nature. In other words, what is gambling, etc.

but I was under the impression that the Church will NOT accept tithes on gambling winnings including sweepstakes.

I have heard this. My feeling is this. I won't tell them it is lottery winnings. If they find out and refuse it, I will pay a tithe on it to another church. As far as I am concerned, I am going to tithe on the money, one way or the other. The Church generally doesn't want it because they don't want to be accused of receiving "dirty" money. In my view, if I win it in a lottery it isn't really dirty. It is a very legal form of taxation. So, if they don't want the money, I will still give 10% to some religious organization or maybe some other worthy charity. I am not going to let them tell me I can't give 1/10 in tithing, even if they don't take it.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 8th May, 2004 - 12:17am

8th May, 2004 - 12:21am / Post ID: #

Lds Position Gambling Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

I would like to mention some points...

1. Please see page one of this thread to see the position of the Church on gambling.
2. Here is something to think about... if you won the gamble (whatever it is) would that be considered a tithed increase?
3. If you play knowing that you will in all likeliness lose then why not give that dollar to fast offering?
4. If you think it is for a charity then is that the only way you can help that charitable organization?
5. Often members ask (rationalize) what is acceptable and what is not, possibly so they can live close to the edge and yet remain inside.
6. Years and years ago the Church conducted (unofficially or not I am not sure) fund raisers in which we would not have raffles and so on, but games, sandwiches, etc to raise money. Everything is different now, but in terms of raising money, working for it has always been the best, making a donation without expecting to win something has always been the best. Even a raffle can be an addiction because some will spend more than they should in hopes of actually winning.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Lds Position On Gambling

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,