Losing Your Membership

Losing Membership - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 13th Apr, 2008 - 11:24am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

According to your location.
11th Apr, 2008 - 3:39am / Post ID: #

Losing Your Membership

Losing Your Membership

Do you think Losing Your Membership is 'easier' in some areas than it is in others? I am not talking about the level of sin or temptation where you live, I am talking about the actions of Members by your local Leaders. For instance 'x' person commits 'y' sin that according to the Church Handbook warrants a Disciplinary Council, however... in 'a' Ward the Leaders would handle it differently than they would in Ward 'b'. In Ward 'a' it could be that the outcome for you is Excommunication while in Ward 'b' it is Disfellowshipped, while in Ward 'c' it could be only 'Probation'. What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links:
12th Apr, 2008 - 11:34pm / Post ID: #

Membership Losing

Yes there seems to be some inconsistency with discipline as you stated. I have seen some bishop's be more strict or quick to discipline members then other bishops. I know of some people who have moved to other wards for this very reason. I am sure that all bishop's and local leadership has there reasons for this, and this is not a post to comment on there reasons, but rather just an observation. I am sure there are many factors that go into such things. In my ward a few years ago we had an endowed single sister get pregnant and she was just censored. However Our elders Q Pres at the time did not like that idea, and when he became bishop (which was just after her full fellowship restored.) He refused her a calling and temple recommend for quite some time due to this incident. I wonder sometimes if there is not an element of our own justice upon sinners that we must mediate through as well.

13th Apr, 2008 - 3:33am / Post ID: #

Losing Your Membership Studies Doctrine Mormon

Very good points. I thought the Elders Quorum President who then became a Bishop should not impose anything on someone in full fellowship once they have been absolved by the prior leadership unless there was something not specifically confessed, but of course in this case you really cannot hide anything.

Post Date: 13th Apr, 2008 - 11:24am / Post ID: #

Losing Your Membership
A Friend

Membership Losing

I think it can also depend on the type of ward you are in. A Bishop or Branch President of a Young Adult Ward might have to deal with more sexually related sins than say a Bishop of a Home Ward. In this respect he may, for lack of a better word, become accustomed to dealing with sins of these natures and go easier on the member. Whereas the Bishop of a Home Ward may not see it as often and take a harder line approach.

Of course these are just my observations as to how things are handled in my area. I have been involved in many Bishops courts and it is interesting to see how similar offenses can have a broad spectrum of penance.

> TOPIC: Losing Your Membership

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,