Gratitude

Gratitude - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 23rd May, 2007 - 9:53pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
The sin of ingratitude
Post Date: 6th May, 2004 - 11:58pm / Post ID: #

Gratitude

Gratitude

"The purposes of the Creation, the Fall, and the Atonement all converge on the sacred work done in temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The earth was created and the Church was restored to make possible the sealing of wife to husband, children to parents, families to progenitors, worlds without end.

"This is the great latter-day work of which we are a part. That is why we have missionaries; that is why we have temples--to bring the fullest blessings of the Atonement to faithful children of God. That is why we respond to our own calls from the Lord. [b]When we comprehend His voluntary Atonement, any sense of sacrifice on our part becomes completely overshadowed by a profound sense of gratitude for the privilege of serving Him."

(Russell M. Nelson, "The Atonement," Ensign, Nov. 1996, 35)

Sponsored Links:
8th May, 2004 - 1:30am / Post ID: #

Gratitude

I believe gratitude is one of the most under used actions among the general membership. I often wondered why Pres. Hinckley always likes to preach the 'Be Kind' doctrine as I call it, where he emphasizes how we should be kind to one another show our thankfulness, etc. I believe it is because he has seen the ingratitude in the Church. What makes this interesting is that the Prophet is surrounded by everyone willing to show him kindness so you wonder how he knows... wink.gif

9th May, 2004 - 2:35am / Post ID: #

Gratitude Studies Doctrine Mormon

He knows because he wasn't always the Prophet wink.gif he may have experienced the exactly same things we do experience now. Gratitude is a very important caracteristic of a true LDS member, we need to be grateful to Heavenly Father for being so merciful and kind to us.

9th May, 2004 - 5:13am / Post ID: #

Gratitude

When you realize that every breath we take is a gift from God, it's difficult not to be grateful. I don't always remember that, but I try to.

Remember when Oprah started the "Gratitude Journal" thing? Her idea was to write in a journal, every day, the things people were grateful for. It changed people's lives. I know that my life is different when I give thanks regularly.

Roz

Post Date: 12th May, 2004 - 4:23am / Post ID: #

Gratitude
A Friend

Gratitude

I become much more humble when I realize how really truly blessed I am, and how grateful I should be for the family that I have and all the opportunities that I've been given. My life has been extremely blessed. It's important for us to remember that everything is a gift and that although we can credit ourselves for working hard at things, all blessings come from the Lord.

Post Date: 19th May, 2007 - 1:41am / Post ID: #

Gratitude

"You could follow the command, 'Thou shalt thank the Lord thy God in all things' (D&C 59:7). President Benson suggested prayer as a time to do that. He said:

"'The Prophet Joseph said at one time that one of the greatest sins of which the Latter-day Saints would be guilty is the sin of ingratitude. I presume most of us have not thought of that as a great sin. There is a great tendency for us in our prayers and in our pleadings with the Lord to ask for additional blessings. But sometimes I feel we need to devote more of our prayers to expressions of gratitude and thanksgiving for blessings already received. We enjoy so much.'

(God, Family, Country, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1974, p. 199.)"
(Henry B. Eyring, "Remembrance and Gratitude," Ensign, Nov. 1989, 12-13)

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 22nd May, 2007 - 12:54am / Post ID: #

Gratitude

"True gratitude is the ability to humbly see, feel, and even receive love. Gratitude is a form of returning love to God. Recognize His hand, tell Him so, express your love to Him. As you come to truly know the Lord, you will find an intimate, sacred relationship built on trust. You will come to know He understands your anguish and will, in compassion, always respond to you in love."
(Gene R. Cook, "Charity: Perfect and Everlasting Love," Ensign, May 2002, 83)

23rd May, 2007 - 9:53pm / Post ID: #

Gratitude Mormon Doctrine Studies

Although one should not look for or seek for gratitude when you give something of yourself it is true that you feel more joy in knowing that your service / gift is taken into consideration with at least a "thanks". This quote sums it up well.

"Gratitude is a mark of a noble soul and a refined character. We like to be around those who are grateful. They tend to brighten all around them. They make others feel better about themselves." 
(Joseph B. Wirthlin, "Live in Thanksgiving Daily," Ensign, Sept. 2001, 8)

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Gratitude

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,