Turntablist, Musician Or Not?

Turntablist Musician Not - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 1st Jan, 2011 - 11:28pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 31st Dec, 2011 - 4:30am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Hello everyone.

I recently read an interesting essay by a turntablist. It was on whether a turntablist should be considered a musician or not. To be clear, a number of serious turntablists consider themselves extremely different from the 'basic' DJ's at parties, clubs, and similar events.

Some seem to think turntablists aren't musicians because they only use prerecorded tracks made by other musicians. However, some turntablists argue that they still make unique beats from the tracks, turning it into their own music. They similarly argue that musicians will 'steal' basic rhythms from other musicians, and what turntablists do isn't much different.

Anyways, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Are turntablists musicians? Does this apply to DJ's? Some will even go as far as to say anyone who can make a single beat (guitar/piano/anything) on his/her own can be considered a musician.

Just to let readers know, I personally consider turntablists musicians, but I also think that it can't apply to your basic DJ, who often just play music with minimal change.

Sponsored Links:
1st Jan, 2011 - 11:28pm / Post ID: #

Not Musician Turntablist

If a chorister can be considered a musician from just leading other musicians but not playing an instrument then I don't see why a 'turntabilist" can't be considered a musician as well.

> TOPIC: Turntablist, Musician Or Not?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,