The Referee

The Referee - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 10th Jun, 2005 - 11:10am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Why do they argue with him?
19th Jun, 2004 - 3:27am / Post ID: #

The Referee

Something I could never understand with players - why do they bother to argue with the referee? Sometimes it even leads to them getting a worst penalty than they did before they started arguing.

Sponsored Links:
19th Jun, 2004 - 1:38pm / Post ID: #

Referee The

Well, they get angry when the referee is unfair (and believe me, they do commit lots of mistakes) so somehow they need to vent their anger smile.gif

Post Date: 20th Jun, 2004 - 1:46am / Post ID: #

The Referee
A Friend

The Referee Sports & Fashion Music Movies

I would guess that it is because they think the ref was wrong. Many times the ref is wrong(They are only human). Even so people should not get angery at the refs. I shouldent be the one to talk though because I have a problem with anger as well... >_>'

20th Jun, 2004 - 6:14am / Post ID: #

Referee The

While I dont agree with most of the ref bashing, I do believe there is some good that can come of it. Refs are people, just like you and me, and sometimes they make mistakes. If the players/coaches were to agree with everything that the ref does, then we are assuming they are perfect. Arguing with a ref can sometimes make them realize they may have missed a call, or made a mistake, and a lot of times the next call is made with better judgement, because the ref has made a mental note of the previous call and the argument it created. Not to say that all arguments end up this way; most of the time the athlete is just venting for not performing well etc. But there is some merit in argument, especially if it lends to the quality of the game at some level. Hope my ramble made some sense wink.gif

Reconcile Edited: malexander on 20th Jun, 2004 - 6:15am

20th Jun, 2004 - 10:21am / Post ID: #

Referee The

While I don't agree with the arguing because it definately seems to show a lack of sportsmenship, I agree with MAlexander about the need for it. There is little doubt than when a call that is clearly made in error is disputed, the quality of the next few calls certainly seems to be increased. It is as though the ref is now "on their toes" wanting to ensure there is nothing to argue about in the future. I think, some arguing, helps keep the refs grounded. They work with these huge superstars and sometimes it seems like the refs get a bit full of themselves and their power.

However, I think there is a line to be drawn. In recent years, the disputing of bad calls has gotten out of hand. I don't think it is o.k. to "bump" a ref or spit in his face or get so out of control that your teammates or coach has to physically restrain you. To me, that kind of behavior should not be tolerated, but severely punished, even if the call truly was a bad one.

30th Jul, 2004 - 11:03pm / Post ID: #

The Referee

Contrary to this topic, there was an incident in South Africa just recently in the news where a referee shot and killed a coach, on the soccer field, after the coach disputed and argued a call that the referee had made. Is it out of the realm of possibility for referees to take too much, to the point where they retaliate in a violent form?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 8th Jun, 2005 - 5:37am / Post ID: #

The Referee
A Friend

The Referee

Bad decisions by referees can swing a match that is in the balance, the players no this, and when the think a bad decision has been made against them they get fired up. I love watching the players fire up.

10th Jun, 2005 - 11:10am / Post ID: #

The Referee Movies Music Fashion & Sports

I think arguing with referees is one of the most pointless pursuits of all time. It just makes them resent you. But in saying that, it's very rare I play 90 minutes of football without firing up at a bad decision or two. wink.gif

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: The Referee

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,