Adam & Eve And Their Coats Of Skin

Adam Eve Coats Skin - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 25th Feb, 2008 - 10:30am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
20th Feb, 2008 - 11:06am / Post ID: #

Wow, I am really nervous about putting my thoughts here but maybe I will learn something! So here goes:

I have been studying about Adam and Eve and one time on the way home from the temple I had this thought: They were immortal before the fall, so were they still in spirit form? If so, could ONE (I know there can be many meaning for a word) of the meanings of coat of skin be literal? Did God give them their actual skin when their bodies were changed?

Now I doubting putting this here but I guess the key word in Mature Discussion, is MATURE. and the fact hopefully no one will make fun of me--even if it something everyone else already knows the answer too! But I have to say, I am hoping someone DOES know the answer. wink.gif

Reconcile Edited: AlaskanLDS on 20th Feb, 2008 - 11:08am

Sponsored Links:
20th Feb, 2008 - 11:52am / Post ID: #

Skin Coats Their Eve and Adam

No one will laugh at you. In the Bible Dictionary (if I remember correctly) under "Adam" or "Eden" I think is an explanation of this, you may wish to check that out. However I can say that the coat of skins they receive were to cover their bodies (flesh), because they knew they were naked. The garment(s) you receive in the Temple are symbols of this.

20th Feb, 2008 - 12:35pm / Post ID: #

Adam & Eve And Their Coats Of Skin Studies Doctrine Mormon

I will have to read that and I was aware that the garments are a symbol. Do you know if the word naked meant naked as skin for sure? I have thought it could of meant exposed, maybe in a spiritual or other sense?

20th Feb, 2008 - 12:50pm / Post ID: #

Naked as a baby! Remember that the endowment seeks to help you see what your parents went through, so you start naked! I believe the first endowments had you totally naked, not as it is now with a shield, thus giving you the feeling of the nakedness Adam and Eve felt, so that when you put on the garments and robes you truly are thankful for the covering. The words of the initiatory make it clear of Adam and Eve's nakedness.

Rather off topic, but...
I once knew a Member who believed that being naked was a natural state for us in the Pre-mortal existence.

20th Feb, 2008 - 1:08pm / Post ID: #

You really amaze me with what you remember/know not being near a temple. I will have to let this one rest for now until I go do that work--soon, I hope. It has been some time since I have done initatories. It seems we do endowments or sealings. I am looking forward to going with a specific thought in mind. Thanks!

25th Feb, 2008 - 7:18am / Post ID: #

QUOTE (JB @ 20-Feb 08, 3:52 AM)
In the Bible Dictionary (if I remember correctly) under "Adam" or "Eden" I think is an explanation of this, you may wish to check that out.

I did go and look these up but did not find anything referring to the skins. Although as I was reading it I remembered hearing somewhere that these skins were passed down along the patriarchs line. Has anyone heard of this?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
25th Feb, 2008 - 8:05am / Post ID: #

Adam & Eve Their Coats Skin

The only part I can remember of any kind of skin / garment was with regards to Noah and Ham trying to gain it for himself. Other than that I do not remember reading anything about Adam passing the skins to his posterity.

25th Feb, 2008 - 10:30am / Post ID: #

Adam & Eve Their Coats Skin Mormon Doctrine Studies

AlaskanLDS:

I remembered hearing somewhere that these skins were passed down along the patriarchs line. Has anyone heard of this?[

Yes, I read it years ago in the Institute Manual. I went online and found it:

Hugh Nibley discussed some of these ancient writings and their implications for the passage in Genesis:

"Nimrod claimed his kingship on the ground of victory over his enemies [see Genesis 10:8-10; Reading 4-21]; his priesthood, however, he claimed by virtue of possessing 'the garment of Adam." The Talmud assures us that it was by virtue of owning this garment that Nimrod was able to claim power to rule over the whole earth, and that he sat in his tower while men came and worshiped him. The Apocryphal writers, Jewish and Christian, have a good deal to say about this garment. To quote one of them: 'the garments of skin which God made for Adam and his wife when they went out of the garden and were given after the death of Adam . . . to Enoch"; hence they passed to Methuselah, and then to Noah, from whom Ham stole them as the people were leaving the ark. Ham's grandson Nimrod obtained them from his father Cush. As for the legitimate inheritance of this clothing, a very old fragment recently discovered says that Michael "disrobed Enoch of his earthly garments, and put on him his angelic clothing," taking him into the presence of God. . . .

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Adam & Eve And Their Coats Of Skin

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,