Lds Intellectuals

Lds Intellectuals - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 19th Jun, 2006 - 7:40am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (7) »
Saved by knowledge alone?
11th Apr, 2006 - 12:36pm / Post ID: #

Lds Intellectuals

LDS Intellectuals

This Thread deals with an aspect of attitude among certain Members of the Church who consider themselves so knowledgeable as to be somehow saved by what they know, yet they do not understand the principles of the Gospel. In some ways they are just as Christ described; hypocrites. As a for instance people generally do not understand the difference between principles and commandments, (I will not go into it here save to say that principles are eternal, but not necessarily commandments), so one can know well the Topic of let us say 'Charity', but not do home teaching or give service to the sick. Herein lies the LDS Intellectuals - all brain but no works to bring salvation to their souls.

Sponsored Links:
11th Apr, 2006 - 1:58pm / Post ID: #

Intellectuals Lds

I was reading about that in another LDS site. They were saying that there are group of so called "LDS Intellectuals" that posses a great knowledge about doctrine, history and other LDS issues and they are a great help to learn more about these things...yet they fail to really "understand" what these things are all about. They miss the point and in the end, what is the benefit of these things? This same web site was saying that within the group of the so called "LDS Intellectuals" most of them do not do something basic as "Home Teaching" yet they know the latest of the articles on FAIR or know in detail doctrines such as Making your Call and Election Sure. The point is: If you fail to fulfill your responsibilities as Priesthood holder and look after the welfare of the families you have been assigned to and fulfill Christ commandment about being your brother's keeper then the whole knowledge you may have go down the drain and profith you nothing. In my opinion, of course.

Post Date: 12th Apr, 2006 - 1:30pm / Post ID: #

Lds Intellectuals
A Friend

Lds Intellectuals Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (JB@Trinidad @ 11-Apr 06, 7:36 AM)
LDS Intellectuals 

This Thread deals with an aspect of attitude among certain Members of the Church who consider themselves so knowledgeable as to be somehow saved by what they know, yet they do not understand the principles of the Gospel. In some ways they are just as Christ described; hypocrites. 

I don't know what are you talking about but I have to mention that the only intellectual among the Christ apostles was Judah who probably was taught to do what Paul did-to spread the Gospel and build His Church. Paul himself persecuted the christians before the Christ call on him. Seems that intellectuals (at least initially) are against Christ?

Maybe they are, I don't know, but I know that who is looking for the truth with an open heart is not far away from God.

There are many questions related to Book of Mormon which I cannot answer myself and nobody inside the Church want to do it, so I have to look outside.

Are they hypocrites also?

Message Edited!
JB@Trinidad: reduced quote - just quote the actual part you are talking about. Corrected spelling and grammar - please look over your writing before posting.

12th Apr, 2006 - 1:52pm / Post ID: #

Intellectuals Lds

QUOTE (Steve)
I don't know what are you talking about...

I believe this Thread was defined well in the first message. Careful reading will dictate what I am talking about, I do not know why you went back to the Old Church and Apostles, I am talking about now:
QUOTE (JB@Trinidad)
This Thread deals with an aspect of attitude among certain Members of the Church who consider themselves so knowledgeable as to be somehow saved by what they know.

Or in other words, we are Discussing Members in the Church who are prideful, they may know a lot of Doctrine, but not put it into practise because they talk more than they do. This was illustrated when I said:
"LDS Intellectuals" most of them do not do something basic as "Home Teaching"...

Post Date: 13th Apr, 2006 - 11:41pm / Post ID: #

Lds Intellectuals
A Friend

Intellectuals Lds

I have a guy that I work with he's one of these intellecuals, he puts down the church for say, "watching rated R movies". He is smart but he isn't very spiritual, his arguments I can understand from a logical point but from a spiritual aspect he loses me all the time.

14th Apr, 2006 - 12:48am / Post ID: #

Lds Intellectuals

That is a good point Weisenberger, I have often found these same intellectuals to have these traits: overly sensitive, aggressive and stubborn. It is a great thing when you can find an LDS Intellectual and still have him manifest characteristics where communication can be an uplifting experience, but most times I find it to be a situation of 'their way or no way'. The Book of Mormon actually speaks a lot about this and mentions that the Jews often seeked for things they could not understand and ended up looking beyond the mark. As an illustration of this we recently had two 'intellectuals' on this Board, one of them did not want to play by our rules and thought himself higher than it and became agitated. The other was so intellectual that he was reading into more things than even this Thread could offer and got his account deleted. *shaking head*.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 14th Apr, 2006 - 3:07pm / Post ID: #

Lds Intellectuals
A Friend

Lds Intellectuals

That sounds like my co-worker, we were discussing the Elders of Israel coming in and saving the constitution of the US and he was quite rude and said that it was the Constitution of the Church that would be saved. I explained that it was of the US and he said I was wrong and needed to recheck my source.

Post Date: 19th Jun, 2006 - 7:40am / Post ID: #

Lds Intellectuals
A Friend

Lds Intellectuals Mormon Doctrine Studies

Anyone ever hear of "judge not lest ye be judged" . Everyone has their place.

QUOTE (Moroni 10:8-18)

For behold, to one is given the Spirit of God, that he may teach the word of wisdom; And to another, that he may teach the word of knowledge by the same spirit

Antiintellectualism is a terrible burden for society to bear and usually causes regression or collapse. Look at the Salem witch trials, if men were more reasonable they would not have murdered many innocents.

Besides, the last thing we need is bigotry within the community. Those intellectuals do a great deal toward defending the LDS faith to the rest of the world's critics.

Message Edited!
Persephone: Learn how to use the quote tag. Update your profile - see your introduction Thread.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (7) »

> TOPIC: Lds Intellectuals

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,