Racial Requirement In Movies?

Racial Requirement Movies - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 6th Jul, 2004 - 11:29pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
5th Jul, 2004 - 4:09am / Post ID: #

I once heard that in the USA a movie is required to show at least one minority within the script / film - is that true? How would they handle films that are based on one race specifically?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 5th Jul, 2004 - 9:17am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Movies Requirement Racial

Hmm... I never heard about that. But personally, I find that it's rather stupid.

I mean, if you want to show that you're not a racist or anything, you don't have to go to such means to show that you're not... And yes, I think you're right. What if they need to focus on a specific race...

(Then again, I suppose they could just have a coffee shop waitress from a minority race)

Post Date: 5th Jul, 2004 - 11:35am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Racial Requirement In Movies? Sports & Fashion Music Movies

If I'm not mistaken, in Star Wars, A New Hope, they didn't have a non-white character. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall the first black character (Lando) was in the second movie. But they did have a lot of non-human characters...

Anyway, if movies were only based on one race, then I suppose they'd just fit in a lot of cameos. That should do the trick. As xue said, one waitress here, one taxi driver there... that should do it.

Post Date: 5th Jul, 2004 - 11:53am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I suppose a Hutt would count as a "minority" race. Hee hee.

The thing with cameos is that it would be really, really dumb, because you see people of races on the streets anyway... Okay. Fine. Then some people won't follow the rule and all...

But it's not as if you'll go to the cinema and shout things like "MUMMY! There is no minority race in this movie!! MUMMY! OH MUMMY!"

5th Jul, 2004 - 4:13pm / Post ID: #

But it's not as if you'll go to the cinema and shout things like "MUMMY! There is no minority race in this movie!! MUMMY! OH MUMMY!"
(just kidding here, but: You don't know much about Americans, do you?) laugh.gif YES they DO! Only they don't cry for Mummy, they cry to their attorney and the "civil rights" groups who go to court for them and file frivolous lawsuits and try to make laws to force these types of issues.

I don't think it's currently like a "law" or a "rule" but the so-called minority groups have raised the issue and are making it known that they want more exposure in films and on TV.

Roz

5th Jul, 2004 - 9:29pm / Post ID: #

I don't think this is a big problem any more in the States. It used to be, but with the increase in minority population and with their increase buying power, advertisers are very aware of this segment of the population and they get a good amount of representation now. At least that is how it appears to me

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th Jul, 2004 - 3:03am / Post ID: #

Racial Requirement Movies

Definitely more, and I would assume it would have happened naturally, anyway, sooner or later -- and that's as it should be! As "the powers that be" discover the huge market they've been ignoring for a long time, it was bound to evolve that way. And frankly, most minorities are no longer "minorities" -- at least not in SoCali. More than half of the state is now "non-white" and has been for a long time.

Roz

6th Jul, 2004 - 11:29pm / Post ID: #

Racial Requirement Movies Movies Music Fashion & Sports

I know film companies need a certain percentage of minorities in the production and stage work. Some of those companies (specially TV) do not apply with it and that's why you would see so much pressure from minorities groups. The show 'Friends' is a good proof of it, they do not have a black actor between the stars, I don't know if they ever added one since I don't personally like the show. To be honest with you, I don't see why they should add a 'black' or a 'latino' actor just to show minority, they should add it because of talent not because of requirement. There are many talented people in the Industry but they do not get the chance to even cast for a part because of their race. Hollywood particularly needs to change the mentality of 'blue eyes look the best on the screen' (yes, they have said that before) and even though it is true, I think it is time that we show on TV reality...and the reality is that more and more minorities are living with us and whether we like it or not, we have to deal with it.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Racial Requirement In Movies?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,