Play By Post Campaign And Dming Advice

Play Post Campaign Dming Advice - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 22nd May, 2012 - 10:10pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

23rd September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Barbarian
Barbarian
Paladin
Paladin
Wizard
Wizard
Rogue
Rogue
Cleric
Cleric
Warlock
Warlock
Ranger
Ranger
Draconian
Draconian
Fighter
Fighter

+  1 2 
22nd May, 2012 - 12:53am / Post ID: #

Hello, some of you may remember me but for those that don't I used to post on this site. I am starting a campaign and DMing a play by post D&D 3.5 game with a ... Interesting setting and setup. I was wondering if any would be able to give suggestions and advice on how to streamline and speed up gameplay... Especually since I have players that will not be able to be on at the same time. One player actually is a bit more then 12 hours ahead of my times.

Also... how to go about a campaign where there is not other planes, where the only plane is the Material Plane. Where arcane magic is harder to come by because one of the ones in charge of the land control the learning of arcane magic and spells.

Reconcile Edited: Thomaslee on 22nd May, 2012 - 12:58am

Sponsored Links:
22nd May, 2012 - 1:03am / Post ID: #

Advice Dming Campaign Post Play

I moved your Thread to the appropriate section: Board, Card, & RP Game Reviews since you are looking for tips and not actually running a game on Member Wars. Good luck with your new DM role.

22nd May, 2012 - 1:18am / Post ID: #

Play By Post Campaign And Dming Advice Reviews RPG & Card Board

Thank you JB, I am just realizing how complicating DMing can be... Especually when I am pretty much making the world from scratch with it's own races and deities.

Reconcile Edited: Thomaslee on 22nd May, 2012 - 1:18am

22nd May, 2012 - 1:26am / Post ID: #

I wouldn't consider myself a great DM, I try but am still learning. I think that is how it goes for the most part. I could throw in my two cents but at the end of the day you have your own style. I use things I find here and there and adopt parts of styles from other DM's.

I would add somehow into the introductory story that magic is rare and explain how and why. Not in incredible length but enough that the players get the feel. As for streamlining I am finding my style to be pretty good. I have also adopted JB's technique of introducing an unfortunate event if the posts stop for a certain period of time. He does it every 2 days and has a party leader system. I have mine at 4 days or so and have the players post their actions individually.

So yeah, I think the key is to find what you want from the campaign and figure out how to make that compatible with the players. I am still learning ticks and things to make game-play run smoother, for me, it comes with practice.

While I was walking away from the keyboard I had a thought. If you going to take magic out people will most likely be more centered on physical fighting. Meaning You'll have less magic users and more highly trained archers or swordsman, just a thought.

Reconcile Edited: Oliron on 22nd May, 2012 - 1:28am

22nd May, 2012 - 1:33am / Post ID: #

It's not so much magic is rare, just some spells are limited and magic as a whole is controlled. Take for example teleportation, it is illigal to teleport unless you have a permit and there are towers setup in all the cities that track what magic is used.

On there not being other planes it makes some spells unusable or needing to be altered, an example being Summon Monster spells most of which involve planer monsters and creatures. If you like I can show you my basic idea.
-----------------

Also because it has been a while can you explain the Party Leader system, it is the system I am using but I'm not sure how to explain it to the players. On why a party leader is important.

22nd May, 2012 - 8:03pm / Post ID: #

The party leader system is that one person from the group is nominated the leader. Everyone in the group discusses their actions and course of actions. The consensus is then posted by the party leader.

The party leader is the only one that posts those final actions to the GM. Also the party leader has the last say if there is a tie or conflict between ideas.

I tend to shy away from this setup because it is hard to find a good party leader. Even the best of party leader will from time to time forget or miss post and not include someones actions. Or they sometimes will post something that is not exactly quite what the group was trying to get across or do.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
22nd May, 2012 - 8:52pm / Post ID: #

Play Post Campaign Dming Advice

Thank you Oliron
------------

I hope to start a new RP on another site, a different setting if you will.
In this setting there are two evil goddess empresses that rule the land, both tyrants in their own right though one is more hot headed with a cruel sense of humor while the other is cold and calculating. They themselves will play little direct part in the campaign, instead the party's worries will be with the six that rule over and control the land under the empresses.

One empress rules over the day while the other rules over the night. Yet it wasn't always like this as at one point the younger sister, as the empresses are related, was given the chance to have a change of heart. At one point she actually became good, changing her name to Lady Starlight and creating the Midnight Order... A safe haven for those wanting protection and peace from the heavy weight of the empire. Yet the older sister had a plan, a plan that took 1000 years to come to full fruition, having banished Lady Starlight to buy herself time, and created the powerful artifacts called the Dark Elements. Upon the return of her wayward sister, the older sister was ready to return her to her evil stat having six very powerful individuals forcibly remove the good inside Lady Starlight and causing her to become evil again.

Who did this to her? The Sun Empress's personal student and those like her... herself being the Element of Spite and the others being the Elements of Cruelty, Deceit, Treachery, Greed, and Fear. Working together because each wanted power and the ability to control those around them. Was this a stable union? No, there will and is conflict between these six 'generals' at times yet partly from fear of the deity they follow and partly because of their own selfish desires they work together.

The focus will be one the adventures who could go out on their own or join the Midnight Order (if they can find those that are apart of it) while this is a dark campaign it is still a hero campaign.

The Dark Elements:
* One controls the use of magic as well as education and knowledge, having learned some of the darkest magic imaginable and using her intellect to conduct research on a variety of subjects... Many of which can cause serious injury or even death to those involved. Many fear the magical sensors in place that can alert her and those under her of magic use, especially such things teleportation which is forbidden for all but a few.

* One is a beastmistress and druid that controls the creatures and monsters of the lands forboding forest... As well as create her own 'children'. One with a seemingly 'sweet' exterior but as per her element can be quite cruel and has a terrifying rage when angered.

* One is considered to be a great beauty indeed, both coveted and fear by the elites and royals, because of her bewitch charm and grace. Controls those of high blood, even going to using blackmail to get what she wants. Runs under her palace a sweat shop run by orphaned children and older woman that have no where else to go, as well as sending the prettier and more lovely women and girls to be trained to please those that visit her palace.

*One controls the businesses as well as to an extent the criminal element of the land, the her business overshadowing all who wish for work or need to buy and sell. The her family being the mob that all fear currently run by her older brother though she plans on killing her brother to be in change.

* One is the caption of the lands dark military, leading her ruthless police force to make sure all the laws of the empresses are followed. Yet her and her officers are as corrupt as you can get, taking or demanding as well as using violence against those that try to go against them. She is know for her ability to case down others, her speed.

* One is feared more then any of the others... Which is what she wants. Her laughter and smile being the sort to chill a person's heart. One's paranoia becomes complete as you cannot outrun her, you cannot hide from her. She creates 'entertaining' social gatherings no one wants to go to but must by law. This one controls the moral making sure all live with a hopelessness and fear... herself moving from glee, to depression, to anger.

Reconcile Edited: Thomaslee on 22nd May, 2012 - 8:58pm

22nd May, 2012 - 10:10pm / Post ID: #

Play Post Campaign Dming Advice Board Card & RPG Reviews

Dude you come back here to tell us you're going to DM on another site? Where's your patriotism dude laugh.gif. Anyways you like lots of character backgrounds and stuff so you should have some success if you get people who go for that sort of thing.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Play By Post Campaign And Dming Advice

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,