Missing?

Missing - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 27th Jul, 2007 - 1:50am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

When are you really missing?
Post Date: 16th Jul, 2004 - 10:06am / Post ID: #

Missing?

The length of time to be considered missing varies from country to country or even State in some cases. How much time should have elaspsed before someone can be considered missing by the authorities is a big issue for some people as in many cases the person was not really 'missing'. In your opinion when is a person really missing and what amount of time should have gone by for the police to begin a search?

Sponsored Links:
31st Jul, 2004 - 8:35pm / Post ID: #

Missing

This is a difficult question because once the person who is considered missing is someone you know or love, all rational thinking goes out the window. I would guess that after 24 hours, someone can be considered missing. Maybe the elapsed time should vary depending on age; a 7 year old should be considered missing a lot sooner than say a 20 year old.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

1st Aug, 2004 - 3:52pm / Post ID: #

Missing? History & Civil Business Politics

That's the unfortunate part -- a 7-year-old should be considered missing much quicker than someone older, as you said malexander. A search for a child should begin immediately -- not after allowing a kidnapper time to get away!

The other point is, when it is someone who has always had a regular schedule and suddenly has gone missing -- you know they are missing, why wait 24 hours?

Roz

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

1st Aug, 2004 - 6:50pm / Post ID: #

Missing

The other point is, when it is someone who has always had a regular schedule and suddenly has gone missing -- you know they are missing, why wait 24 hours?

The reason I use 24 hours is because of those who want to be missing. Search efforts cost money, lots of money, and if we start searching for someone within say an hour or two, and they turn out to have run away or something like that then we wasted time and money. Yes, it seems harsh and strict, but unfortunately, because of the bad apples, we are forced to sometimes prolong search efforts for those who are really and truly missing. But I still think young children should not have to wait at all; if their parents or caretakers can't find them, they should be considered missing immediately.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

2nd Aug, 2004 - 1:04am / Post ID: #

Missing

But I still think young children should not have to wait at all; if their parents or caretakers can't find them, they should be considered missing immediately.

Well, I think if you know the child was kidnapped for instance, or if he is mentally handicapped or if for sure there is a dangerous situation he/she could be in then, you all have a wonderful program such as the Amber Alert which immediatly broadcast the information to all TV and radio channels.
I agree with all of you saying that when a child is missing, the search should be immediatly.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 3rd Aug, 2004 - 12:47am / Post ID: #

Missing?
A Friend

Missing?

From everything I have read, as soon as the parents/guardians realize that a child is missing and contact the police the police start immediately to locate said child.

When the person is 18 and older ~ then there is a time limit, unless the circumstances show that there is a possibility of foul play. Car left running with the door open, door to house open and one or more rooms look tossed. In those cases the police start immediately to search for the person.

When it is an Adult ~ say a spouse and they are in good health, then there most definitely is a time limit. Most times the adult leaves, and is not missing, as happens in abusive situations. That is what I was told when I called the Sheriff and asked years ago when I was considering leaving my husband and driving out of state. They told me 24 hours, well that wasn't enough time for me to get far enough away.

If the adult suffers from dementia, Alzheimer's, depression, etc. the police start a search immediately.

This is all from what I have learned living here in Oregon State ~ but I believe it is standard procedure in the United States.

There is NEVER a waiting time before a search is made by the police for children. As soon as the parents/guardians notify the Police, the police are on it.

Reconcile Edited: AGene on 3rd Aug, 2004 - 12:49am

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
28th Feb, 2007 - 9:19pm / Post ID: #

Missing

A child should be reported immediately, as in most cases, you know that the child has gone quicker than most adult cases.

An adult I would say that if you know that they were supposed to be at a certain place at a certain time along with the factor that it would be completely out of character to have not shown up or made contact, then I don't think I would give more than 3 or 4 hours.

Obviously this is all based on how well you know the missing person, some people just don't like to be contacted, and others may quite frequently run hours late without giving a thought to others' concerns or worries.

I guess each case would have to be taken on its own merit. I know that we wouldn't be expected to wait 24 hours like other countries have to though, and we would probably be questioned for why we left it so long before reporting a person missing if we did. (Here in the UK)

International Level: Activist / Political Participation: 29 ActivistPoliticianActivist 2.9%

27th Jul, 2007 - 1:50am / Post ID: #

Missing Politics Business Civil & History

This is a tough call. Whenever a loved one is missing, everyone considers this important and become very irate when it is not treated as top priority. But I have to agree with most of the posts here. I believe babies, children, people with: amnesia, Alzheimer's disease; people who are considered a threat to themselves and others (for example, those suffering from postpartum depression, psychosis, bipolar disorder or have a history of suicide attempts) and individuals who are mentally retarded should be searched for by the police immediately. I hate to say this but for adults, there should be a twenty four hour waiting period, before they should be declared missing. However, if family members or friends have sufficient evidence to support their concerns that their loved one (an adult) may be in danger or a victim of foul play, then the police should start their search immediately.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 14 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.4%

> TOPIC: Missing?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,