Their Skin Became White - Page 2 of 2

I think that this can be either metaphorical - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 1st Dec, 2006 - 6:19pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
And he had caused the cursing to come upon them...
Post Date: 27th Oct, 2006 - 4:28pm / Post ID: #

Their Skin Became White
A Friend

Their Skin Became White - Page 2

Here is a wonderful article on this topic. It talks about the skin color change in the BoM and all the reasons behind it. It also addresses all the questions and concerns about the priesthood ban, and that it didn't start in the latter-days. The article shows how some white male members have been denied of the priesthood in the past and that some black male members not of a certain descent have been allowed the priesthood prior to 1978. After reading this article, I have been able to make much better sense of this issue.

Black Mormons and the Priesthood

Sponsored Links:
27th Oct, 2006 - 7:53pm / Post ID: #

White Skin Their

QUOTE (DanInTheDen)
...some black male members not of a certain descent have been allowed the priesthood prior to 1978.

I should mention that this issue (Blacks and the Priesthood) is covered more extensively in the Mature LDS section, this section pertains to the curse over the Lamanites which may be a bit different to the one placed over Cain and that came through Ham.

1st Dec, 2006 - 6:19pm / Post ID: #

Their Skin Became White Studies Doctrine Mormon

I think that this can be either metaphorical and literal. Hugh Nibley does argue for a metaphorical concept of the darkness of skin of Lamanites. Perhaps as another post mentioned above, that Lamonites married the other indigent cultures of the America's. Perhaps through time that term Lamanite became a generic name to refer to all of the indigenous people, whether they were literal lamonite blood or not. ( For we now that they BOM says that the Lamanites were much more numerous then Nephites.) The Nephites would have not married other cultures simply because the law forbid. Thus if some of the people who followed Laman did leave the Nephites they would not have lived the laws that would had prevented inter-racial marriage. Thus this would be seen as a curse through a Nephite perspective. I personally do not buy the Curse of Cain idea. It is not biblically supported. Its an idea that was popular in Europe and America before Joseph Smith that influenced the church's idea on race. This is not an idea that only the church believed.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Their Skin Became White

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,