Turn It In At The End Of The Semester Or Next...

Turn The Semester Next - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 29th Jan, 2010 - 7:35pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

24th Jan, 2010 - 7:56am / Post ID: #

It is a interesting argument that deductions in points from late assignments doesnt test the pupils true knowledge. If you were to just look at it in terms of answering the questions correctly without time regulations, it make sense. However, in the real world, we have time regulations.

Source 2

international QUOTE
Manitoba tells teachers not to lower marks for late assignments

By Nick Martin , Winnipeg Free PressJanuary 15, 2010

WINNIPEG - Manitoba's NDP government strongly discourages teachers from deducting marks from students who are late in submitting assignments.

A letter from former education minister Peter Bjornson sent on June 22, 2009 to Tory MLA Blaine Pedersen says students shouldn't be deducted marks for missing deadlines. The Tories released the letter Thursday.

Bjornson said that if a teacher deducts 10 or 20 per cent because a student turns work in late, then that mark is not "an accurate indicator of what the student has learned or achieved."

He said that while it is important to learn personal responsibility and good work habits, the lateness of assignments should be reported separately.

Bjornson told Pedersen that provincial marking guidelines and a desire for uniform approaches to marking dictate that ". . . Marks should reflect the student's achievement and should not be distorted as a result of work habits, attitudes or behaviours.

"If a required assignment is missing, a zero is not an accurate indicator of what the student has learned or achieved; the teacher simply has no evidence on which to make any judgment about that learning outcome," wrote Bjornson.

The letter will further fuel public debate over the so-called no-fail policy in Manitoba education - it does not exist in writing as provincial policy, but many teachers and parents believe that it is practised widely across Manitoba.

Several teachers who have contacted the Winnipeg Free Press have said, under condition their names not be used, that their division requires them to find ways to pass kids, including by not deducting marks for late or missing assignments.

One teacher said there is pressure to accept assignments even after the semester has ended, and apply the mark to the previous semester's grade.

Tory Leader Hugh McFadyen has demanded that students be promoted based on academic achievement.

A Manitoba Teachers' Society poll showed that 76 per cent of 800 adults surveyed oppose having a no-fail system. MTS will receive a teachers' task force report on workload issues - including a committee study on no-fail - in late May at its annual convention.

Veteran Seven Oaks School Division superintendent Brian O'Leary said Thursday that he agrees with the government - don't dock kids for late marks, he said.

A student could do very well on a provincial math or English exam worth 30 per cent of the year, but potentially get a failing grade for late work in class, O'Leary said.

O'Leary said the education system's focus should be on keeping kids together with their social peer group, and helping those students who are having learning difficulties. "The focus should be off a (no-fail) policy, which doesn't even exist," he said.

Holding kids back "almost invariably leads to dropping out," he said, urging schools to do "everything we can to keep kids together."

Exactly where would late work grades be reported, if they were separated? OK, Johnny gets a A in english, but a D in timeliness of work. I am betting in the mind of the initiator of this edict that the D in timeliness really would carry no weight. It doesnt surprise me that Manitoba apparently has a no-fail policy that is in effect without writing. What will this benevelant practice help Johnny to learn for life in the real world:

Work deadlines are arbitrary...just get them done...sometime!
Yes, Johnny will be highly sought after with that demeanor...

I can pay my bills when I feel like it as long as I pay them!
Johnny will be in for quite the shock when his car is reposesed because the bank just didnt understand that their loan with Johnny is not about paying on a timely basis...it is just about paying at Johnny's preference. The bank gets its money, so they should loosen up.

Johnny works hours to suit himself.
He just cant understand why his employer fired him for showing up late. Geez...he stayed late to make it up. He worked his 8 hours like everyone else. It is unfair says Johnny!

Homework?
Forget homework, I will get it done at the end of the year. They arent going to fail anyone and the X-Box is calling me. Yes, Johnny will soon be a expert at procrastination. GO JOHNNY GO...employers love those who can put off today what they can do next semester!

Well, I guess this is a good way that the school board can get a boost in the average grades for the school without any additional effort. Is it any wonder with educators that have ideas like this that basic understanding for high school graduates have suffered over the last several decades?

Sponsored Links:
29th Jan, 2010 - 3:54am / Post ID: #

Next Semester Of The In Turn

I agree, the standards for high school and college-level work has seriously degraded over time -- not just in Manitoba!

Since I'm now taking online courses to finish my degree, I have to suffer reading through a lot of 18-year-old blathering. Spelling, punctuation, capitalization, diction and grammar are horrible! What are they actually learning in school these days?!

Post Date: 29th Jan, 2010 - 7:35pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Turn It In At The End Of The Semester Or Next... UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

Learning? You actually expect kids to go to school for almost 8 hours a day and actually learn something? How dare you think that.

Kids today spend most of their day at school texting, sexting and keeping up with each other on facebook and myspace. Just look at any of those sites and see how many of their friends are using a mobile link. With all the smart phones in teens hands it is very easy to see how high school is nothing but a social pit for teens instead of a learning environment.

I would not be surprised to see more high schools and colleges lower their expectation of students. I am surprised the standards are as high as they are now a days.

> TOPIC: Turn It In At The End Of The Semester Or Next...

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,