Elder Neal A. Maxwell

Elder Neal A Maxwell - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 23rd Dec, 2004 - 8:37pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Style of Writing
25th Jul, 2004 - 8:06pm / Post ID: #

Elder Neal A. Maxwell

I was recently giving a lesson in Elder's quorum using a talk given by Elder Maxwell. After quoting some of what he said I found that in the space of one sentence he chose his words so carefully that you get the full brunt of what he was saying instantly. However, his style is not baby talk or easy reading and I found myself having to explain it to the quorum who looked like they were having German read to them. Anyone else find his writings to be of a higher level? it almost seems like he is speaking to the more well educated where as others tend to use a very simplistic form.

Sponsored Links:
25th Jul, 2004 - 10:49pm / Post ID: #

Maxwell A Neal Elder

This is one of the complaints some people made about Elder Maxwell - he was too high brow.

They subscribed to the view of keeping things simple.

Keeping things simple is well and good most of the time, but simple does not preclude deep.

Personally, I feel it is important that we are stretched in different ways. Perhaps Elder Monson makes us feel more about personal stories and struggles, perhaps Elder Ballard and Packer bring us up bluntly to the need to avoid evil and its nature, perhaps Elder Scott helps us feel the soft balm of forgiveness and repentance, perhaps Elder McConkie once filled us with doctrine.

I believe Elder Maxwell appealed to that part of us - principled intellect - so that we could be helped in our growth in that area too.

Alliterations and big words are not wrong, as some seem to think. God knows all words and so one day will we if we are faithful. It was a delight to hear him and he shall be missed.

I used to have a wonderful Sunday School teacher who would get out Josephus or Dummelow and share some of those "enrichment" parts (such as you get in the Institute manuals) but today the lessons are so basic ;( - we need the basics of
course and perhaps as that is the greatest need the other needs have dropped away. But it's a pity. There's a lot to say for balance.

Dubhdara.

26th Jul, 2004 - 12:40am / Post ID: #

Elder Neal A. Maxwell Studies Doctrine Mormon

Good points, I am glad to see that I am not the only one. I thought his words were pretty straight forward, but everyone was watching me crossed face so I thought 'Maybe I am reading it wrong'? I am glad you mentioned those other Brethren, I believe I will start threads for each of those since they do have their own style.

26th Jul, 2004 - 2:00am / Post ID: #

Maxwell A Neal Elder

I believe Elder Maxwell appealed to that part of us - principled intellect - so that we could be helped in our growth in that area too.

Alliterations and big words are not wrong, as some seem to think. God knows all words and so one day will we if we are faithful. It was a delight to hear him and he shall be missed.

You have putted it so nicely! when you said he appealed to that part of us...principled intellect. This is so true. His talks I personally believe are not for 'everybody' in the sense of somebody who do not really care about studying the doctrine and the scriptures, his talks were like a sunshine light for those who wanted to hear 'more' than just have faith and so on. He will be missed. I just LOVED the way he talked.

26th Jul, 2004 - 2:25pm / Post ID: #

Maxwell A Neal Elder

"He brings the same intensity to his writing. He reads widely, virtually devouring material from newspapers to works of history, biography, and philosophy. It is a key to his writing."He reads, he absorbs ideas, and then he organizes the ideas to contribute to the kingdom," Sister Haglund says."

"I think he has changed a lot. I have seen his desire to increase his effectiveness and to improve," she comments (Sis. Maxwell). "And I have seen how the Lord has worked through him and how he has been magnified. It has been a pleasure to be party to that.

"I don't mean to paint him as a saint. He wouldn't want that, and I wouldn't want that to be conveyed, because he is human," Sister Maxwell says.

But 'the things of the Spirit and the gospel and the kingdom are much more important to him than other things.

"I think he has always loved the Savior," she adds. In recent years, however, "he seems to have developed a special love and interest and greater appreciation for Him."

I found this wonderful article about Elder Neal A. Maxwell :

https://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll/Mag...x=$nc=4585

Just copy and past on your browser.

23rd Dec, 2004 - 8:37pm / Post ID: #

Elder Neal A. Maxwell

If a person took all of Elder Maxwell's writings and learned the meaning of every word, and then learned the the background of every allusion he made, that person would have a full and well-rounded education without setting foot in a classroom. Many apostles have been favorites for different reasons in my life, but none was so eloquent as Elder Neal A. Maxwell. His words enlarged the boundaries of our religious perception. Every word was carefully engineered to create delicious mental images of the doctrines of eternity. He not only taught the gospel of Christ, but he showed us glimpses of Him and his marvelous plan through his writings and speech.

I met Elder Maxwell when I was 19 years old. I was directing traffic for parking at our Stake conference. Many members were disobeying our directions so they could have closer parking spaces. I didn't see that one car I directed to the back of the parking lot was driven by the Stake President with Elder Maxwell as his passenger. They drove to the back, and Elder Maxwell came and shook my hand on his way into the building. Perhaps at the judgment day when the apostles are all around, Elder Maxwell will say, "Yes, that's the boy who gave me a bad parking space!" He would be smiling if he said it.

Anyway, enough rambling from me. Elder Maxwell's writing and speaking were most excellent. Any Church member who does not like it obviously doesn't understand it yet, but that will come with study and prayer.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Elder Neal A. Maxwell

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,