Help Thou Mine Unbelief - Page 2 of 2

QUOTE I do not recall mentioning about assuming - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 31st May, 2006 - 7:35pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
This is an interesting thread, one in which you must read the FIRST message in order to understand what it is about.
30th May, 2006 - 11:10pm / Post ID: #

Help Thou Mine Unbelief - Page 2

I find that most members like the comfort zone they are living in, they feel "safe" in what they know, what it does concerns me is that when an Anti-Mormon or a member brings a topic that it's controversial or they do not know about, they are left without words because they just do not know what to say because they do not know the doctrine or history at all.
I agree with this but feel there is some danger in assuming we know things that have not actually been revealed by the Brethren. Even with revealed doctrine and especially with true anti-mormons, sometimes silence is best. Even Christ, when confronted by unbelieving Pharisees, knew when words would have no effect, and kept silent. It's a hard call though, and takes guidance by the Spirit, to know when to talk and when not to.
are there Doctrines that you see being Discussed here that you would have to use a measure of 'Help Thou Mine Unbelief'?
Yes, there are a few. I won't divulge which, because my inner processing chip is very slow, but you'll hear from me eventually.

Sponsored Links:
30th May, 2006 - 11:34pm / Post ID: #

Unbelief Thou Help

Valla said:

I agree with this but feel there is some danger in assuming we know things that have not actually been revealed by the Brethren

I do not recall mentioning about assuming we know things the Church has not revealed. I was referring to the doctrines and practises that the Church through its Prophets have revealed as such and practised.

Even with revealed doctrine and especially with true anti-mormons, sometimes silence is best. Even Christ, when confronted by unbelieving Pharisees, knew when words would have no effect, and kept silent.

I suppose it all depends on the circumnstance and who is the person you are discussing a point of doctrine. If the person is totally irrational or ignorant, then I never bother even starting a conversation but if they are not, I think clarifying and talking about certain doctrines can help in a lot of ways. Silence is a great tool if used properly but when misused, can be interpreted it as a sign of shame on that particular doctrine, lack of knowledge or simply an attitude of not caring enough about it. Just in my opinion, of course.

31st May, 2006 - 7:35pm / Post ID: #

Help Thou Mine Unbelief Studies Doctrine Mormon

I do not recall mentioning about assuming we know things the Church has not revealed.
No, you didn't. It was just a thought I had as I considered the difficulty I have in discussing the deeper doctrines with non-LDS, regardless if they are opposed to the church or investigators. There have been times were I've assumed a certain doctrine or principle has been revealed through the Prophets and then later discovered that it has not, but is only tradition. This could be something as simple as a quote by a general authority that is taken out of context, or common beliefs that is assumed by members of the church.
Offtopic but,
I think this forum will eventually do me a great justice by toning my abilities to discuss the deeper doctrines intelligently.

Silence is a great tool if used properly but when misused, can be interpreted it as a sign of shame on that particular doctrine, lack of knowledge or simply an attitude of not caring enough about it.
I think we're on the same page here, only I would rather err on the side of caution for myself, in keeping silent. This has to do, I think, with confidence in my own knowledge. In my opinion, some get so caught up in the process of living that they believe they don't have the time to study and learn the deeper doctrines, and that these things are not necessary for Salvation, as you mentioned. I believe they do matter because they keep us spiritually fit, and are a great missionary tool when somebody who is truly interested inquires of us. Through many mistakes and some years of trial and error I've learned, for myself, that I will stop and wait for the Spirit to prompt me if I should say something. If I don't feel that prompting, I keep silent. I'm not a great speaker anyway, so on my own I would be hopeless. I hope this isn't too off topic but to bring it back let me add that in understanding the deeper doctrines a measure of passion about the gospel is required because it does take some hard work and some who have been members their whole life lack this, in my opinion.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Help Thou Mine Unbelief

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,