Does Depression End At Death? - Page 3 of 3

Long and short of it: Yes, depressed because - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 5th Sep, 2008 - 10:39pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
1st Sep, 2008 - 1:24am / Post ID: #

Does Depression End At Death? - Page 3

QUOTE (Isiah53 @ 31-Aug 08, 11:56 AM)
I know the old cloche in the church men are so that they might have joy." We always assume that this means here and now. But Lehi never qualifies then this joy will come, only that our life conditions are needed to have joy. For some who struggle with depression that joy may be later then sooner.

This is where my thoughts were going after I read the last response from Amonhi--I was trying to recall what I learned about the difference between "happiness" and "joy." I have not found the talk but think it had to do with Happiness being a short term emotion whereas joy is eternal and although we can feel these two in this part of our eternal lives, it would not become FULL until we are like the Father.

I think that we especially as saints that everything can be over come in this life.  I just think that this is not so. perhaps we are not to overcome everything but rather endure and persevere through it. Perhaps depression can be one thing that many just have to endure through. Sometimes there is no reason for depression, it is just there.

Also, another talk came to mind which has helped me to work through my experiences with depression and other trials. It does NOT make excuses, only explains to me, that we are specifically here for trials and to endure through them. I agree that depression is as challenging for some to deal with as well as family members, than cancer or unexplained illnesses.

In Boyd K. Packers talk: "The Play and the Plan", the following quote has helped me a lot: Source: Source 7

We progress or we are held back in life within the limits imposed by spiritual and natural law which govern all the universe. We sometimes wonder, if the plan really is the great plan of happiness, why must we struggle to find fulness of it in mortal life?

If you expect to find only ease and peace and bliss during Act II, you surely will be frustrated. You will understand little of what is going on and why it is permitted to be as they are.

Remember this! The line "And they all lived happily ever after" is never written into the second act. That Line belongs in the third act when the mysteries are solved and everything is put right.
The Apostle was right when he said, "If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable."  (1 Corinthians 15:19.)

I agree with Amonhi, that the perception has a lot to do with how we handle our trials, I just don't agree with his particular perception. I too believe that it is another trial that some must pass through and it will be taken when this life is over and the trial is no longer needed.

Sponsored Links:
1st Sep, 2008 - 8:46pm / Post ID: #

Death End Depression Does

QUOTE (Amonhi @ 29-Aug 08, 6:36 PM)
Understanding what is causing the depression and how to fix that problem in a way that is acceptable is the solution to depression. Not pills and drugs.

If only it were that simple I would be out of a job and could retire. Depression is complex and multifaceted. Depression for a loss or sin is normal and can often be resolved with time or by working through the issue. Exercise is a great way to lift a mild depression.

Clinical depression is not so simple. When a person is depressed there are chemical changes that occur. If that depression goes on unchecked the chemical changes can become more permanent and then medication is needed to return the brain to normal functioning.

Studies have shown that therapy alone can help depression; medication alone can help depression. But, people have a lot better outcomes when therapy and medication management are combined to treat the depression.

That said, this thread is about whether or not depression continues after death or if death becomes a release from the depression. Depression is a tool of Satan that he uses to discourage us and keep us from our eternal goals. If we are suffering from depression at death are we finally set free?
From everything I can find, we will be freed at the resurrection. In a talk by Dallin Oaks in the April 2000 conference he said:

The assurance of resurrection gives us the strength and perspective to endure the mortal challenges faced by each of us and by those we love, such things as the physical, mental, or emotional deficiencies we bring with us at birth or acquire during mortal life. Because of the resurrection, we know that these mortal deficiencies are only temporary!

Depression would fall into the mental or emotional deficiency category. So, according to Elder Oaks, depression is only temporary and will not continue past the resurrection. He goes on to say:

Resurrection is much more than merely reuniting a spirit to a body held captive by the grave. We know from the Book of Mormon that the resurrection is a restoration that brings back "carnal for carnal" and "good for that which is good" (Alma 41:13; see also Alma 41:2-4 and Hel. 14:31).

But what about the time before the resurrection? Will one continue to struggle with depression in paradise until the resurrection? The best I could find was this from a 1988 Tambuli Question & Answer by Allen E. Bergin, professor of psychology at Brigham Young University

We live in a fallen world, in which environment, biology, or both may work against mental health and normal conduct. Elder James E. Talmage addressed this matter: "To a degree, children are born heirs to the good or evil natures of their parents; the effects of heredity are admitted. Good and evil tendencies, blessings and curses, are transmitted from generation to generation. "¦ The children of Adam are natural heirs to the ills of mortality; but through Christ's atonement they are all redeemed from the curse of this fallen state." (The Articles of Faith, 12th edition, Salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1924, pages 87-88.)

Thus, we may assume that, because of the Atonement, those afflicted with emotional wounds not of their own making will be relieved of them following death. Being freed of such abnormalities-whether originally induced by biological deficiencies or environmental stresses-is necessary if those who merit entrance into paradise are to enjoy that state of peace and rest. (See Mosiah 3:11; Alma 40:11-14.)

Certainly the Lord is just; he will take into account the fact that some of his children are harmed by the misconduct of others, and he will not allow the sins of others to afflict his children beyond their mortal period of probation.

To me this tells us that we need to do all we can to overcome our emotional weaknesses as much as our physical ones. If we try to overcome whatever, the Atonement will pick up the slack and we will find peace after death. However, if our problems are due to our own sins or omissions we will be held accountable and need to go through the repentance process before we find the peace and rest.

3rd Sep, 2008 - 4:23am / Post ID: #

Does Depression End At Death? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I think that many forms of depression and mental illness can be treated with medicine. Therefore it definitely has physical components. So my conclusion would be that the physical components would not be a problem any longer (especially since we will get perfected bodies). However, to what degree it has effected your personality is a different problem since we carry that with us after death. So I would say have hope and what ever burden you carry now that it will lightened and you will not have to carry it through eternity.

Mathman

Post Date: 3rd Sep, 2008 - 10:11pm / Post ID: #

Does Depression End At Death?
A Friend

Page 3 Death End Depression Does

I have the cure for depression.

If something makes you depressed stop doing it.

If you feel depressed after you have committed some gross sexual sins. Then stop doing them.

If you get depressed after doing drugs then stop doing them.

If you do anything that contributes to depression then stop.

Pills only post pone your problems they are no the solution.

If you have parent issues. Let them go of the issues and forget about it.

Repent, work on your bad behaviors and let the atonement work for you. Develop a good principle base like the church teaches.

It is simple and it works. And you don't have to be depressed in the next life.

4th Sep, 2008 - 6:26am / Post ID: #

Death End Depression Does

QUOTE (Quasar @ 3-Sep 08, 2:11 PM)
I have the cure for depression.

If something makes you depressed stop doing it.

You may have your cure for depression but I think what we have here is a definite debate between those who think depression can be healed by stopping or doing something different and those who think depression is an illness and can take medication (PLUS the atonement) and other aspects to treat it.

I left this thread alone for a few days because I felt it was a subject to close to home and that maybe I was too sensitive to what other people thought of me. As I have thought on it more, I realized it is just like any of the other situations we discuss. The answers might be different for each individual. The reason I say this is because there is no doubt in my mind that my PERSONAL situation is different from say some of those who believe that you stop and it gets better. It is NOT that simple for some people.

I have an extra twist with mine that I will throw out here--mainly because I am interested if there is anyone who agrees....just be nice if you don't (just kidding!) When we found out (my husband and I) that it was NOT going to be a short-term thing and I would be taking medication for however long was needed it was hard...It was more depressing to me because all of a sudden I felt like a failure even more and a lot of other emotions that come that way. I realized that THOSE feelings were not from the Lord but that He had to have some answers for us. We took it to him in prayer and fasting, not just once, it took quite awhile. We both received an answer we weren't expecting and still to this day it changes our outlook on depression itself and those who deal with it. Obviously this was our answer and it was for us, I do not say this meaning it is how it is for each situation. We were told that we were aware of trials that we would go through and would be given the strength to endure them. *ALSO, that some trials we are going through here aren't necessarily for our growth but someone else's. When we started to look at it from that perspective, it was an amazing change. I quit feeling like I was a failure but was more conscious of my complaining about it, and my husband became more aware of how he treated me when I would have a severe time with depression and tried to find a lesson in it. Then together we turned to the Lord to learn what he would have us learn from this trial. So, instead of the Lord telling me you will only have to suffer from depression for X amount of years, he told us, this is WHY and HOW you can learn from it. I hope I explained that correctly or you get the idea. My point is, that some people have depression or health issues or whatever for a reason--it isn't meant to be cured at all.

I do believe though that definitely sin-induced guilt which brings depression is a whole different ball game and THAT when we take care of those sins through repentance and stop participating--that kind of depression can be healed and should be healed through the atonement.

Post Date: 5th Sep, 2008 - 7:21pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I realized that THOSE feelings were not from the Lord but that He had to have some answers for us. We took it to him in prayer and fasting, not just once, it took quite awhile. We both received an answer we weren't expecting and still to this day it changes our outlook on depression itself and those who deal with it.

What ever your promptings were I am sure it is right. I wouldn't worry about the failure part. I don't believe I would put this in a category of failure.

I have had severe depression problems in the past (really bad). I just had a different approach and would say that I am rather normal now, but sometimes I slip a little. It doesn't last long.

I simply stoped being critical with myself. There is this thing inside depressed people. A self loathing voice that one has to deal with. It is really hell to start with. I would say my fight lasted strong for 3 years. I few light skirmishes here and there.

The mind can do amazing things.

Of course I didn't have the luxury of doctors and plenty of time to deal with it.

I think there are plenty of things that cause depression.
-abusive parents
-personal irresponsibility/lack of discipline
-chemicals in the food and water
-this oppressive society
-news and media are depressing
-Advertisements make you feel like you are supposed to look or act a certain way that you will never achieve.

I am sure there are many others. Maybe medication is right for some people. I don't think that all depression stems from the depressed person's actions. A lot of it is outside influences.

I would say that their is a very large % of people that are depressed these days.

I liked the book 7 habits of highly affective people. I have not actually finished it. I am still reading it. It is taking a while to see his view on things and try to practice them.

He seams to really know what he is talking about.

So cheer up you have an Alaskan winter to look forward to.laugh.gif

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Reconcile Edited: Quasar on 5th Sep, 2008 - 7:23pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
5th Sep, 2008 - 10:39pm / Post ID: #

Does Depression End Death - Page 3

Long and short of it: Yes, depressed because of sin now, depressed after too. Depressed because of physical imbalance, immortality will take care of that after, so don't worry be happy.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Does Depression End At Death?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,