Favorite Story

Favorite Story - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 17th Dec, 2008 - 2:37pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Within the Book of Mormon
Post Date: 29th Jul, 2004 - 1:04pm / Post ID: #

Favorite Story

Which specific story is your favorite in the Book of Mormon, one that touches you and you try to implement in your own life? Why that one?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 24th Jan, 2005 - 9:17pm / Post ID: #

Favorite Story
A Friend

Story Favorite

That is so hard to choose! I have so many favorites. My favorite would have to be the story of Jesus Christ visiting America. I feel that this story is very important to the BOM because it it testifies that as Christ lives today with a resurrected body, so shall we. It means that "life is a probation, to be followed by death, resurrection, and judgment." (Artice below) He came to teach and and show himself to the people. He attested by His very presence that Heavenly Father does not forget about His people. The descriptions of what happened are so vivid and moving, and I could kind of imagine what it would have been like to be there. Ezra Taft Benson superbly describes some of the significance and lessons from this story:

"I have been deeply impressed with the beauty and power of this scriptural account in 3 Nephi, and with its great value for our time and our generation.  The record of the Nephite history just prior to the Savior's visit reveals many parallels to our own day as we anticipate His second coming....the Savior was "moved with tender compassion, [and] the resurrected Lord  commanded all the multitude...[to] go forth with their sick and their afflicted, and their lame, and with their blind, and with their dumb, and with all them that were afflicted in any manner; and he did heal them every one as they were brought forth unto him" (3 Ne. 17:9).  Jesus prayed to the Father, and Mormon tells us that "no tongue can speak, neither can there be written by any man, neither can the hearts of men conceive so great and marvelous things" as were spoken in that prayer (3 Ne. 17:17). Then, weeping with joy, Jesus took the little children to Him one by one and blessed them. Finally, turning to the multitude, He said, "Behold your little ones" (3 Ne. 17:23).  As they lifted their eyes, 'they saw the heavens open, and they saw angels descending out of heaven as it were in the midst of fire; and they came down and encircled those little ones about, and they were encircled about with fire; and the angels did minister unto them" (3 Ne. 17:24).  There is not time to speak of all the remarkable events of that glorious day and the days that followed. But it is clear that 3 Nephi contains some of the most moving and powerful passages in all scripture.   The Savior's Visit to America by
President Ezra Taft Benson.  click:   https://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll/Mag...;nc=5574#LPHit1.

Reconcile Edited: dawnofthenew on 24th Jan, 2005 - 9:22pm

Post Date: 19th Mar, 2005 - 3:35pm / Post ID: #

Favorite Story
A Friend

Favorite Story Studies Doctrine Mormon

For me I believe the story of Alma the Younger wins hands down. It is about a young man that rebels against church and the teachings, one day he's struck down by an angel during the two days and three nights he realizes that all of his sins are going to destroy him, so he remembers what his father taught about JESUS CHRIST and pleads for deliverance from his sins. Then JESUS CHRIST appears to him and takes away all of his pain. From that point on Alm the Younger became such an advocate for the cause of Christ that at the end of his life he is translated.

Post Date: 26th Apr, 2006 - 9:24pm / Post ID: #

Favorite Story
A Friend

Story Favorite

My favorite story in the Book Of Mormon. Is when Nephi the son Of Helaman predicts the murder of the Chief Judge. I love how since the spirit is with him strong as can be, he says word for word what happened, and what will happen in the future. It is such a great story, interesting, entertaining, and another witness that the Lord knows everything.

Message Edited!
Please use the spell checker.

Reconcile Edited: Nighthawk on 26th Apr, 2006 - 10:11pm

Post Date: 16th Feb, 2008 - 5:58am / Post ID: #

Favorite Story
A Friend

Story Favorite

My favorite stories in the Book of Mormon are the ones that I ponder in my head.
Let me give you an example...
In 2nd Nephi Chapter 4 we read that Lehi dies and what follows is the wonderful 'Psalm of Nephi'. In it we see a glimpse of Nephi's fears and anxieties as he takes over as spiritual and temporal leader of the group. But we also see his tremendous courage and faith in the Lord.
In the very next chapter, Nephi makes the monumental decision to leave his brothers and flee with those who will follow him.
As I have pondered what may have occurred between chapters 4 and 5, I have thought about how Nephi must have entered into the decision to flee. It could not have been on a whim. He must have searched his soul and prayed long and hard about it. It must have torn his heart apart to leave his brothers, knowing he may never see them again. But also knowing that all those who would go with him may never them see them again either, including his mother and sisters. He also knew that by leaving his brothers, he may be sealing their spiritual fate. Not that it was his fault. Of course it wasn't. He had done all he could for them. But leaving family members behind, when you know what is in store, must have been terribly hard.
So, as I have explored Nephi's possible feelings at this time, what he may have gone through, the discussions with his mother and sisters about leaving, the consequences he must have thought about and so on, it has given me a deeper love and appreciation for the Book of Mormon. These were real people, with real problems and real feelings.
What is written on the pages of the Book of Mormon is of paramount importance of course, but I have learned that what is not written has great merit too.
We are told to Read, Ponder and Pray about the Book of Mormon. My favorite stories have come from doing number 2.
Regards
Jaffa1987

18th Nov, 2008 - 7:53pm / Post ID: #

Favorite Story

When Christ comes to the Americas in 3 Nephi 11 has to be the best. Other than that I love the stories of Ammon. He was so brave and set such an example for everyone.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
17th Dec, 2008 - 2:37pm / Post ID: #

Favorite Story

When you think about it the Book of Mormon is one big story book that I love. Of course the visit of Christ in 3rd Nephi is one of the best, I also like reading the words of Moroni in the last chapters.

> TOPIC: Favorite Story

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,