Family History a Channel to Other Worlds

Family History Channel Worlds - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 21st Apr, 2014 - 12:42pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
21st Jan, 2003 - 2:14am / Post ID: #

Family History gives every member of the Church the opportunity to save his ancestors and of course, himself. We often forget that the work continues beyond the veil and does not stop at death. While doing genealogy research many both in and out of the Church have been touched by the Spirit of Elijah and they testify of special experiences.

It is interesting that this work is so grand that it required the Lord himself to initiate it:

international QUOTE

"From the days of Adam to the meridian of time, temple ordinances were performed for the living only. Ordinances for the dead had to await the Atonement and postmortal ministry of the Savior (See D&C 138:18-37)."

I remember once on my mission finding a sister who kept hundreds of names on file in her storage box that she later sent to the temple after hearing about the work for the dead. She already had the Spirit of Elijah and did a better job of research than most members do in 20 years!

Here are some points to consider:
1. Many say they have been guided by actual ancestors who have already passed on. 2. The 'dead' do not like being called that (Dead) because they are very much alive. We would be well off if we remember that. 3. In special circumstances those beyond may be given special permission to help us, help them, so that the work is done. 4. We can never know whom we come in contact with as we research diligently, a friendly old man with a book of dates, a person touched by the Spirit of Elijah and told to help us, or even an angel disguised as a passer by to show us the way. Who knows?

international QUOTE
"In the early days of the Church, some baptisms for the dead that were not properly witnessed and recorded, were rejected of the Lord, and the work had to be done over again. We know that great care and attention is given to this matter today in our Temples, and that efficient help must be secured to do this. ... Truly it is a great and marvelous work, and not the least important thing about it is that these ordinances are all carefully recorded in the books and are filed away in the archives of the Temple, to be brought forth in due time. From these records the people who have gone to that house will be judged. Nothing that is done in that Temple will be accepted of the Lord, except it is properly witnessed and recorded."
(In Conference Report, Apr. 1900, pp. 43-44.)

What are your thoughts on this work?

Sponsored Links:
21st Jan, 2003 - 4:07pm / Post ID: #

Worlds to Channel History Family

I was called as the District Family History Consultant and I feel really blessed for this calling that will allow me to help the members and myself to do the work for those in the other side of the veil. This is a marvelous work, we cannot be saved without them as they cannot be saved without us. I gave a talk in my Branch last Sunday about it and I read this quote by Elder Richard G. Scott :

international QUOTE
"But what about you? Have you prayed about your own ancestor's work? Set aside those things that don't really matter in your life. Decide to do something that will have eternal consequences. Perhaps you have been prompted to look for ancestors but feel that you're not a genealogist. Can you see that you don't have to be anymore? It all begins with love and a sincere desire to help those who cannot help themselves ....Begin now. I promise you that the Lord will help you find a way. And it will make you feel wonderful".

Post Date: 11th Sep, 2004 - 1:22pm / Post ID: #

Family History a Channel to Other Worlds Studies Doctrine Mormon

"The objective of family history work is to make the blessings of the
temple available to all people, both living and dead. As we attend the
temple and perform work for the dead, we accomplish a deep sense of
alliance with God and a better understanding of his plan for the salvation
of the human race. We learn to love our neighbors as ourselves. Truly
there is no work equal to that done in the temple.

"In addition to the blessings we receive from doing work for the dead, we
receive personal blessings as we attend the temple."

(Howard W. Hunter, "We Have a Work to Do," Ensign, Mar. 1995, 65)

1st Oct, 2004 - 9:06pm / Post ID: #

I was just wondering what the likelyhood or percentage is for those who have crossed over to accept the Gospel? Is it a matter of them suddenly saying, "Oh, so this was what it was all about, let me join in" or is it more a matter of "I am this way and will remain this way!"? Can we make an estimated judgement about if members of our family now passed on will accept the Gospel there if they did not accept it here?

1st Oct, 2004 - 9:34pm / Post ID: #

Can we make an estimated judgement about if members of our family now passed on will accept the Gospel there if they did not accept it here?

How could we make such estimated?. I think we can just rely on the Spirit and have the hope they have accepted it. To be honest with you, it seems so difficult for me to understand how person 'living' the reality of how the after life really is like, having the presence of Prophets and loved ones testifying about the Saviour could reject such a message.

20th Apr, 2014 - 6:20pm / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith once said we cannot be saved without our dead. Have you done your Genealogy and Family History work? How far have you reached?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
20th Apr, 2014 - 7:21pm / Post ID: #

Family History Channel to Worlds

I have been working on my genealogy for about 18 years now. Of course, 14 1/2 years of that has also included growing "live branches" as we have had 5 children. More than anything I would tell someone to make sure someone else has a backup copy of your files. I had a backup and a computer backup and lost them both in a wind storm that took our home. It has taken me a number of years just to start rebuilding.

21st Apr, 2014 - 12:42pm / Post ID: #

Family History Channel to Worlds Mormon Doctrine Studies

At one time I found a line in my Step-dad's line that went back to about 63 B. C. I love doing Genealogy. It's very relaxing and rewarding, frustrating at times.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Family History a Channel to Other Worlds

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,