Shaolin Monks - Page 3 of 3

They have nice tricks but how important are - Page 3 - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 29th Feb, 2016 - 7:56pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Shaolin Forum
Supermen for real or just stories to put fear into the invaders?
Post Date: 17th Apr, 2009 - 2:35am / Post ID: #

Shaolin Monks - Page 3

Name: Doug

Comments: Monks are able to dodge bullets and can also run across water. I should know this because my uncle is a Shaolin monk.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 17th Apr, 2009 - 11:56am / Post ID: #

Shaolin Monks
A Friend

Monks Shaolin

I have met two Shaolin Monks, both were quiet, respectful and the least obviously threatening people I have ever met. They have nothing to prove, they are still and have an aura of peace.

Post Date: 18th Jul, 2009 - 5:40pm / Post ID: #

Shaolin Monks Sports & Fashion Music Movies

Name: Randy

Comments: I use to train under a Shaolin Temple Master and he explained many of the principles upon which the temple training was based. Students began as children and would train for 40 years before being considered a temple master. During that 40 years they would wear a white sash. Graduation was marked by extensive testing and changing to a red sash. An accomplish master wore three red sashes. This meant he was a tri grand master.

Not all monks study the same system of gung fu, although in the early years they cross train in what the temple offers.
There are over 400 styles or systems of gung fu. Most of these are family or temple styles.

One style not taught in the temple (although they are commonalities with other styles) is Law Horn style of Northern Chinese Kung Fu. It is a flying style in that all attacks and defenses are conducted in the air. Training of this begins at the age of 10. The student is given a box to jump up onto as many times a day as possible. At the end of one year the height doubles and weights are attached to the ankles. Each year the height and weight increases.
At 21 years of age the actually training of aerial techniques begins. At that point the student can jump with ease 20-25 feet in the air with 100 pounds of weight on each leg. This is the historical source of legends of flying fighters.

I once asked my teacher what good jumping technique entailed. He said if you could go over his house it was a good beginning. I use to do a pretty good aerial mantis kick but jumping over house was where I drew the line.

On the other extreme is Drunken style Kung Fu where all of the fighting is done from the ground.

Post Date: 18th Jul, 2009 - 7:48pm / Post ID: #

Shaolin Monks
A Friend

Page 3 Monks Shaolin

I study Wing Chun Kung Fu; but my teacher has also studied Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu for over 30 years. He ends each lesson with 20 minutes of Qi Gong. When I was a beginner I found it difficult and boring, but now it is my favorite part of the session. I can now stand like a Tree for 15 minutes, where before 30 seconds seemed impossible.

Post Date: 24th Jul, 2010 - 9:18pm / Post ID: #

Monks Shaolin

Name: Bare hands

Comments: The way of the Shaolin is the true martial artist. They develop all round in spirit, physical and mental. Not like these jokers going to a dujo and making a kata so they can get some belt around their waist.

Post Date: 26th Apr, 2011 - 1:30am / Post ID: #

Shaolin Monks

Name: Anthony

Comments: As Director of the San Diego Shaolin Society, I can share with you my knowledge of the Shaolin Monks. I have studied Shaolin kung fu from three of the monks from the Temple, the most senior being Shi De Shan in Houston, TX.

First I must say that the human body is more amazing than we may realize, and only small groups of highly trained individuals such as the US Navy Seals and the Shaolin Monks are aware of the body's ability to adapt past its normal limitations.

All of this is not to say that the human body can overcome the laws of physics. The use of wires in kung fu movies has exaggerated the monks' abilities, but truth be told, there are pictures of a monk running sideways up a wall for a short distance. After the basketball goals were installed at Shaolin Temple China, the 4-5 foot tall monks can dunk like NBA players because of their training, some of which involves running and frog hopping up the temple and mountain steps...

The monks also train their bone (and muscle) tissues over long periods of time by using continuous mild trauma which makes the bones harder and harder by calcification as the microfractures heal.

Some of the tricks the monks employ are not unlike those of a magician or circus performer. Today, the monks are not unlike circus performers, as the Chinese government now owns Shaolin Temple China and requires the young monks to train in a curriculum that includes wushu perfomances in addition to traditional Shaolin forms and Buddhism.

There are no mystic secrets to Shaolin kung fu. It is merely an exhaustive set of over 1,500 different forms of movement. The meditation involved is simple "Sit and be still, no thoughts, no memories." Then there is mild Buddhism, but mostly kung fu as a sport. (Keeping in mind that wushu/kungfu IS China's national sport, not unlike American football.)

I hope I have cleared up some of the mysticism the movies may have caused, but it is my experience that the Chinese government seeks to capitalize on that

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th Feb, 2016 - 7:56pm / Post ID: #

Shaolin Monks - Page 3

They have nice tricks but how important are they in real combat? If you watch the MMA fights you'll see no fancy moves like what you see in Hollywood its just pure grit. Shaolin monks have talent and skill but they're just men, super men, but still just men.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Shaolin Monks

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,