No Flesh Shall Be Safe Upon The Waters

No Flesh Safe Waters - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 2nd Jul, 2007 - 8:57pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 

D&C 61:13 - 19
19th Aug, 2004 - 1:32pm / Post ID: #

I came across this passage in the D&C this morning and it struck me as something important.

international QUOTE
13  And now, behold, for your good I gave unto you a commandment concerning these things; and I, the Lord, will reason with you as with men in days of old.
14  Behold, I, the Lord, in the beginning blessed the waters; but in the last days, by the mouth of my servant John, I cursed the waters.
15  Wherefore, the days will come that no flesh shall be safe upon the waters.
16  And it shall be said in days to come that none is able to go up to the land of Zion upon the waters, but he that is upright in heart.

17  And, as I, the Lord, in the beginning cursed the land, even so in the last days have I blessed it, in its time, for the use of my saints, that they may partake the fatness thereof.
18  And now I give unto you a commandment that what I say unto one I say unto all, that you shall forewarn your brethren concerning these waters, that they come not in journeying upon them, lest their faith fail and they are caught in snares;
19  I, the Lord, have decreed, and the destroyer rideth upon the face thereof, and I revoke not the decree.

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 61:13 - 19)

The heading to the section says this:
'Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, on the bank of the Missouri River, McIlwaine's Bend, August 12, 1831. HC 1:202-205. On their return trip to Kirtland the Prophet and ten elders had traveled down the Missouri River in canoes. On the third day of the journey many dangers were experienced. Elder William W. Phelps, in daylight vision, saw the destroyer riding in power upon the face of the waters."

No Flesh Shall Be Safe Upon The Waters (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
19th Aug, 2004 - 1:43pm / Post ID: #

Waters Upon Safe Shall Flesh No

This is common knowledge for missionaries as they are told never to travel by sea or go into it while on their missions. In days of Old, Lucifer was given reign over the earth, but now in Latter-Days his assignment changed to the waters.

19th Aug, 2004 - 4:00pm / Post ID: #

No Flesh Shall Be Safe Upon The Waters Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (JB@Trinidad @ 19-Aug 04, 9:43 AM)
This is common knowledge for missionaries as they are told never to travel by sea or go into it while on their missions.

How does this work in places such as Ireland, the Azores, or the Pacific Islands? There are frequently small islands where the only access is by sea. Even around Seattle, various parts of Canada, or the Florida Keys, there are a lot of islands that you can only reach by boat.

I know about the swimming part, that has long been a true statement. I think it was Joseph F. Smith who almost drowned because he went into the sea while a missionary in Hawaii, in direct opposition to direction by his mission president.

Also, does this preclude baptism within the ocean? I have always thought that it would be nice to perform baptisms within the calm seas.

Now, back to the original statements, I have long understood that the seas and rivers will be extremely dangerous places. Consider how many of the tribulations described in Revelation have directly to do with the seas and oceans. Combine all of them, and it really makes a person think before taking that long cruise....

19th Aug, 2004 - 4:09pm / Post ID: #

How does this work in places such as Ireland, the Azores, or the Pacific Islands?

The thinking in those cases is that it must be public transport where there are many people and not anything private.

Also, does this preclude baptism within the ocean?

Baptizing in the ocean is permitted, however, because it is done on both a public basis as well as being near the shore line then it is okay.

The concern seems to be centered around missionaries going to the ocean for pleasure purposes or alone, in these cases it is both dangerous and against policy. I have heard of missionaries drowning for disobeying as well as those who went close to the water to sightsee and noticed the waters becoming violent to the point they had to leave.

19th Aug, 2004 - 6:24pm / Post ID: #

The concern seems to be centered around missionaries going to the ocean for pleasure purposes or alone, in these cases it is both dangerous and against policy. I have heard of missionaries drowning for disobeying as well as those who went close to the water to sightsee and noticed the waters becoming violent to the point they had to leave.

Since we know satan has dominion over the water, it stands to reason that missionaries would be extremely susceptible to danger near water. They are living their lives as close to Heavenly Father and Jesus as anyone and probably as close as they ever will. Their entire lives are dedicated to the Lord full time for the duration of their mission. Satan would absolutely do whatever he could to tempt or harm them. I would imagine it isn't easy for him to get to them except when in his dominion because of how close to the spirit they are living.

20th Aug, 2004 - 12:51am / Post ID: #

Wow, this is all news to me. I had no idea that Satan's dominion changed from earth to water. Where can I study more about this?

Roz

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
20th Aug, 2004 - 1:25am / Post ID: #

No Flesh Shall Safe Upon Waters

Try the Doctrine & Covenants institute manual which is good for this and other parts of the Doctrine.

2nd Jul, 2007 - 8:57pm / Post ID: #

No Flesh Shall Safe Upon Waters Mormon Doctrine Studies

In the Doctrine and Covenants my ancestor saw Satan riding upon the waters. ( W W Phelps) so I believe it. However in my mission field one time it was so hot and we were right next to a river and well I let the sisters toss me into the water, so I can say if I drowned the I DIDN'T DO IT (smile)

Rather off topic, but...
I also wonder if that would apply to water beds as well?

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please use the Offtopic Tags so that the Thread maintains the same subject matter and does not develop into another Topic. Check your spelling!

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: No Flesh Shall Be Safe Upon The Waters

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,