No Flesh Shall Be Safe Upon The Waters - Page 2 of 2

Nighthawk said: QUOTE I have long understood - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd Mar, 2008 - 6:18am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 

D&C 61:13 - 19
Post Date: 3rd Jul, 2007 - 12:37pm / Post ID: #

No Flesh Shall Be Safe Upon The Waters
A Friend

No Flesh Shall Be Safe Upon The Waters - Page 2

This topic has been popping up left and right this past week, and I couldn't help but check out what you had to say. I was talking to my girlfriend about it, and she was asking why missionaries are counseled not to go near water, but we don't counsel our members to stay away from water. I told her that it's because missionaries have a special duty to spread the gospel and satan works harder on them. I've always feared water, and I live on an island, surrounded by it. Also, at YSA the other night the topic came up (without my help) and confirmed to me that this is something I should be thinking about.

Sponsored Links:
4th Jul, 2007 - 8:52pm / Post ID: #

Waters Upon Safe Shall Flesh No

On my mission we had Elder Maxwell come and tour and during a Q & A and elder asked him why missionaries cannot swim. His answer was that it has nothing to do with Satan having power over the waters, and everything to do with some elders not knowing how to swim. He said that it is just safer to cut out all water activities then to have elders horsing around in water and perhaps having an elder who was not a good swimmer get into trouble.

Post Date: 22nd Mar, 2008 - 6:18am / Post ID: #

No Flesh Shall Be Safe Upon The Waters
A Friend

No Flesh Shall Be Safe Upon The Waters Studies Doctrine Mormon

Nighthawk said:

I have long understood that the seas and rivers will be extremely dangerous places.

D&C 61:23 goes on to point out that the "canal" is safe. Smith and Sjodahl in the Doctrine & Covenants Commentary wrote:
There were several canals.  Some took the travelers around the rapids in the large rivers; others connected navigable rivers.  The instruction not to journey on the river did not include such artificial waterways.  P.366.

So, the devil has control only over natural waterways.

Rather off topic, but...
Hmmmm. God's commandment for man to subdue the land takes on greater meaning.

Nighthawk said:
there are a lot of islands that you can only reach by boat.

On my mission in Iquitos, Peru, many homes along the river float during the spring. We worked the homes in boats. (Just the two of us.) I also saw some missionaries jump in the water, and swim. I can't say nothing happened, but nothing evident to me, (other than the mission president finding out.)
That being said, we cannot discount that Satan does have power over the waters, but specifically in the "last days," due to a curse pronounced by John (the Translated?) -D&C 61:14. It goes on to say that in the last days, no flesh will be safe upon the waters. -D&C 61:15.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: No Flesh Shall Be Safe Upon The Waters

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,