Leaving Polygamy - Look The Other Way?

Leaving Polygamy Way - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 21st Aug, 2004 - 2:55am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Top  Leaving Polygamy,Look Other Way
20th Aug, 2004 - 4:31pm / Post ID: #

There is another thread on this forum that speaks of the children/teens that leave Fundamentalist, polygamous groups and how they are abandoned by their families. You can click here to read it. One of the responses speaks of how the LDS Church won't publicly do anything about this issue because it involved FLDS members. I would like to discuss why you think that is true, if you agree with the statement or why you think, in general, the Church won't help those who suffer at the hands of those who practice polygamy. Why do they turn the other way?

I guess I should start by saying that is the impression I get...that they turn the other way. There have been at least two times in the last 50 years where someone has tried to to something about those practicing polygamy and in the end the community of Saints did not support them in this endeavor. Once the Church actually was involved and in support of the action taken, but not the members.

So, first, why do Church members living in Utah and the surrounding area not consider polygamy to be a problem? The evidence seems to indicate that the majority of those practicing it in organized groups are abusive. These lost boys is one example. There have been others in the news. Young women who have been severly beaten, etc., for trying to leave.

Do you think most members turn the other way because they feel the Church was wrong about abolishing polygamy and so they secretly wish we were still practicing it? Or, is it just that they feel strongly that freedom of religion should prevail. Or, do you have some other theory?

Remember, we have an Article of Faith, directly from Joseph Smith that holds us accountable to the law and this is against the law.

Second, why does the Church only seem to get involved when someone outside makes an issue of it? Do you think they are afraid they will get caught in the crossfire or that members won't approve? Or that, our leaders believe themselves that these people should have the freedom to practice polygamy. Or, that they just want to remain as far removed from polygamy as possible so as to not get any "Mud slung on them?

I know we have a separate thread on polygamy. I don't want to discuss polygamy here, that can be done in the other thread. I just want to know what people think are the reasons people turn the other way as well as the Church. I have been reading a lot about this lately and am puzzled by this.

I know some of the beliefs of people here by reading the other thread about polygamy, what I am interested here is how you reconcile that with the abuses and with the Article of Faith. Actually, I am not really sure what I am looking for, but I know it is troubling me.

Leaving Polygamy - Look The Other Way? (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 20th Aug, 2004 - 7:46pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Way The - Polygamy Leaving

Well, I think the church does not get involved because it would be a little ironic. 150 years ago, we were criticized by the world for living polygamy. We defended our right to do so and stood behind the Constitution of the United States allowing freedom of religion. How would it look if we now stepped in and opposed the very practice we used to defend?

Those who practice polygamy today are not members of our church, so the church has no jurisdiction over them.

We do come out against child abuse of any kind but we do not specifically target child abuse as related to polygamy.

20th Aug, 2004 - 8:00pm / Post ID: #

Leaving Polygamy - Look The Other Way? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Those who practice polygamy today are not members of our church, so the church has no jurisdiction over them.

What is interesting is that in the 1950's there was a raid on a polygamous sect in Arizona. Reportedly, it was with the full consent of the Church. So, for some reason in the 1950's they felt it was their business. The Church was involved in ensuring the raid took place and even spoke out about it being a good thing to have done.

I agree that they would appear to be hypocritical if they came out against it publically, but not really. Once Utah became a state, and had laws enacted prohibiting such practice then it seems to me the article of faith would come into play that tells us we must honor and obey the laws and leaders of our nation.

Do you think polygamy would be as tolerated in another part of the country where the LDS population isn't as large? I don't. Why do you think this is the case?

Post Date: 20th Aug, 2004 - 9:01pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

QUOTE (tenaheff @ 20-Aug 04, 8:00 PM)
Do you think polygamy would be as tolerated in another part of the country where the LDS population isn't as large? I don't. Why do you think this is the case?

Actually, in our society today, with the anything goes attitude, I think polygamists would be left alone and allowed to live as they please in other areas of the U.S. Almost all of the public outcry today deals with young girls 14 and 15 being forced into this lifestyle. That's what most people have the problem with. If it was just consenting adults choosing to practice plural marriage, you wouldn't even hear about it.

20th Aug, 2004 - 9:36pm / Post ID: #

Well, I think that the police force and attorneys general might still take action. I think the people might not care, but actually I think we are not as close to that as you do. Now, point of fact, since a polygamous person only gets one license and is only legally married to one person, what law are they breaking? Bigamy requires them to actually get a license and marry more than one doesn't it? I think the big problem is the welfare, and other government subsidies that the families draw. That and the young children, too. So what about that then. Why is that tolerated? Any place else in the country a 14 year old girl in a sexual relationship with anyone over the age of even say 25 would be considered pedphilia. Why do people in the west not get outraged by such behavior? Why does not law enforcement do something proactive about it?

20th Aug, 2004 - 11:15pm / Post ID: #

I think the content of this needs to be discussed in the Mature LDS section since it is not something Doctrinal and is mostly based on speculation.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
21st Aug, 2004 - 2:10am / Post ID: #

Leaving Polygamy - The Way

the Church won't help those who suffer at the hands of those who practice polygamy. Why do they turn the other way?
It's possible that the Church does help, but in a way that won't be headlined. However, it's also possible that they turn the other way because of the history of the Church: They don't want even a *hint* of impropriety.

So, first, why do Church members living in Utah and the surrounding area not consider polygamy to be a problem?

Do you think most members turn the other way because they feel the Church was wrong about abolishing polygamy and so they secretly wish we were still practicing it? Or, is it just that they feel strongly that freedom of religion should prevail. Or, do you have some other theory?
I'm not sure that most members feel that way, that polygamy is just "not a problem." I've not really spoken to members about how they feel about it, particularly since I've only been reactivated for about 3 years now, and I don't really have any close friends in the church. Just as with any other "problem" that doesn't belong to them, I have a feeling that they just don't think about it at all.

Second, why does the Church only seem to get involved when someone outside makes an issue of it? Do you think they are afraid they will get caught in the crossfire or that members won't approve? Or that, our leaders believe themselves that these people should have the freedom to practice polygamy. Or, that they just want to remain as far removed from polygamy as possible so as to not get any "mud slung on them?
I think it's that last one. No hint of impropriety, not even the "appearance of sin." I think the Church wants to stay as far away from the whole issue as possible, and try to get the world to forget our history to keep the Church out of trouble. (Do I hear a "more acceptable to Babylon" coming from somewhere? wink.gif )

All in my opinion, of course.
Roz

21st Aug, 2004 - 2:55am / Post ID: #

Leaving Polygamy - The Way Mormon Doctrine Studies

Maybe the following paragraph from the interview of President Hinckley with Larry King may bring some light to this issue:

international QUOTE
Larry King: Are you surprised that there's, apparently, a lot of polygamy in Utah?

Gordon B. Hinckley: I have seen the thing grow somewhat. I don't know how much it is. I don't know how pervasive it is.

Larry King: Should there be arrests?

Gordon B. Hinckley: It's matter of civil procedure. The church can't do anything. We have no authority in this matter, none whatever.

Larry King: Would you like to see the state to clamp down on it?

Gordon B. Hinckley: I think I leave that entirely in the hands of the civil officers. It's a civil offense. It's in violation of the law. We have nothing to do with it. We're totally distanced from it. And if the state chooses to move on it, that's a responsibility of civil officers.

I found this interesting web site talking about this problem. Many touching stories also and lots of information to ponder.... Source

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Leaving Polygamy - Look The Other Way?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,